• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say What?

** This thread discusses the article: Say What? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Say What? **

Say What?

At least the software understands most of what you say after only 10 times. Try speaking with a "foreign" accent. These days, I simply say "Customer Service," or I press '0' or whatever will get me to a human as quickly as possible. After putting in about 2 hours after work each day for about 2 weeks "training" my speech software, I finally put in on the shelf - permanently. Also, I wonder how American southerners will fare, where monosyllabic words get stretched into about 3, as in "pen" becoming "piiiiin' and Jim sounds like "Ji-iiiimmm," at least, that's what my old-fashioned speech recognition software (my ears) detect.

Comment

Say What?

Try speaking with a "foreign" accent.
      I hadn't thought about that. I should do some experimenting to see how it responds if I talk Canadian, eh? And, I suspect that if I spoke my home city in the local dialect it would probably type "Trawna". I'm not facing any immediate deadlines that I'm trying to avoid, so I don't have any incentive to bother playing around with that out right now. Maybe later.

Comment

Say What?

By now, most of you have probably read the news about OS/2. As some might remember, OS/2 had voice recognition about 10 years ago. Considering how long voice recognition technology has been around, you'd think it should have been perfected already! ;-) (Now go wreck a nice beach!) Cheers! Hans

Comment

Say What?

It was hard to tell. I thought that IBM stopeed sales and support years ago. IMO OS2 was to windows what betamax was to VHS. Dave

Comment

Say What?

David wrote: IMO OS2 was to windows what betamax was to VHS. When talking about OS/2, it always seems that someone brings up that old Beta vs VHS comparison. I once had a Betamax and I once used OS/2. Now I use DVD's and Linux. ;-) Cheers! Hans

Comment

Say What?

David said: "IMO OS2 was to windows what betamax was to VHS." Yeah, a flop. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Say What?

Just imagine our president using the speech recognition software that controls a robot with his hand on the Red button. We could end with another half million dead somewhere in the world.

Comment

Say What?

jSeries said:
                  Just imagine our president using the speech recognition software that controls a robot with his hand on the Red button. We could end with another half million dead somewhere in the world.
                  All I have to say to that is "With an era." That's what the speech recognition software typed when I said "It could never happen." Excuse me while I head to my bomb shelter.

Comment

Say What?

I'm going to ask everybody do me a favor and please try really hard to leave the President of the United States of America out of this forum. Even if you're incapable of respecting the man, respect the office. Thank you. Joe

Comment

Say What?

Joe, I'm not an American, but I still have great respect for the Office of the President of the United States of America. I can't speak for him, but I don't think that jSeries meant any disrespect to the office or the man. If you want to make a joke about the greatest damage that faulty speech recognition could possibly do, where else is it possible to do that but in the Office of the President, the most powerful office on the planet. The scenario proposed by jSeries was so bizarre that I don't think he was suggesting that President Bush or anyone else in that office would ever be of a mental calibre as to really rely on speech recognition for something that important. I think that he was making a joke about speech recognition, not about the President. I know that was the way I intended my response to be taken. If I've offended you or the President, I apologize, although I seriously doubt that the President would care in the least what I say. Nor should he.

Comment

Say What?

Joe, It is my priviledge (and my right) as a U.S. Citizen to be able to freely criticize the holder of the highest elected office this country provides. I was always taught, that in so many contries, this would be a considered a treasonable offense punishable by death. But here in the U.S. we are fortunate enough to have this ability, and indeed it is a priviledge for which so many have fought for to defend. Since such a great value is placed on this precious freedom, it would appear to me miserly, and foolish not to use it. But since you asked nicely, I will refrain. . . . .at least on this particular forum. Dave

Comment

Say What?

My comment was unclear. I meant that political speech of any type has no place on this forum. This is, at least most of the time, a professional technical forum. Allowing religion or politics to creep into conversations has ruined more than one online discussion group. As to the point of the joke, I'd say neither one of us is capable of reading jSeries' mind, nor of gauging the response of every reader. Instead, if the President isn't mentioned, then there's no room for misunderstanding. Joe

Comment

Say What?

Feel free to find an appropriate forum to voice your views about politics or religion, David. This is not that place. Joe

Comment

Say What?

Joe said:
                              This is, at least most of the time, a professional technical forum.
                              Joe, This particular forum is attached to one of my "tirade" columns, which MC Press promotes as humorous. I try to tie each tirade column into some aspect of technology, but sometimes that connection is, admittedly, rather tenuous. I'm just the freelance writer of the column that the forum is attached to. I don't own this forum, in fact my agreement with MC Press does not mention the forums nor, therefore, does it require that I even look at them. That is a verbose way of saying that I can't speak for MC Press as to the purpose of these forums, but, given the nature of my tirade columns, I would think that MC Press would accept and possibly even appreciate some deviation from the "professional technical" discussions of the forums attached to other articles and the forums not attached to any article. But that's up to them to decide. Regards, Joel

Comment

Working...
                              X