Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate the Teal Terminals

** This thread discusses the article: Terminate the Teal Terminals **
    PHP has been available on the iSeries since V5R1. http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp3639.html This redbook is a good starting point. Although its probably a little out dated now. Jeff

Comment

You said: "People buy what they are used to, not cluelessly what is pretty." That is sort of my point. YOU (metaphorically speaking) are used to 5250 apps. So you buy and build 5250 apps. Some sexy gui/browser-based apps vendor comes in, some may say "We don't need all that GUI stuff." Others may think it is sexy and want it regardless of the functionality. But when your company is acquired, then the type of applications they are used to, or better yet, the type of applications they see advertised in Airline magazines or on TV, are the type they want. They don't care about green screen apps because everyone else as well as IBM is telling them green screen means old technology. So they bag it. You're thinking may be critical, as many IT profressionals is. But upper management will fall for the sexy app or the golf course 19th hole inspired application every single time. If you're applications are already sexy, then there's no compelling reason to be looking elsewhere. Is there? Well, perhaps, but at least you have the skills of writing those applications to apply to anything new they may bring into the mix. If you want to protect your green screen apps, then I've got some old vacuum tubes that are still working and a 3741 keypunch machine I'd love to unload on you.

Comment

As much as I love the green screen simplicity, speed, reliability, etc. the fact is that GUI is not only the future, it's the present. I just bought Bob's xTools & CGI lib to start learning to put together web based apps - it's self preservation. I cringe every time some user asks "how long are we going to keep that old AS/400?" or "how old is that thing?". They don't know it's the best machine we have... all they see is the 1980's developed application. SNA is dead and we've all pretty much learned to live with (and appreciate?) TCP/IP. Same for green screen. I've used the "green screen is more efficient" line forever and, yes, it's true. But, as others have said, perception matters. BTW..... if you find someone who wants the 3741 keypunch, ask them if they want my old TAB decollator....

Comment

Roger, It's a amazing transformation you'll see when you move to web based AS/400 apps. When I arrived at my current employer 5 years ago almost all confidence had been lost in the AS400 and its apps. We started deploying web based AS400 apps about 3.5 years ago (using BCD's WebSmart) and the transformation has been amazing. All confidence is back and the AS400 is now the central hub of all data. BTW, I recommend WebSmart very strongly. An RPG programmer can be very proficient in a week. In a month they'll be doing things that they could never accomplish on the green screen. The programming staff's transformation (I have 11 AS400 programmers on my staff) is also amazing. Good luck, chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Roger Harman" wrote in message news:6b341a15.16@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > As much as I love the green screen simplicity, speed, reliability, etc. > the fact is that GUI is not only the future, it's the present. I just > bought Bob's xTools & CGI lib to start learning to put together web based > apps - it's self preservation. > I cringe every time some user asks "how long are we going to keep that old > AS/400?" or "how old is that thing?". They don't know it's the best > machine we have... all they see is the 1980's developed application. > SNA is dead and we've all pretty much learned to live with (and > appreciate?) TCP/IP. Same for green screen. > I've used the "green screen is more efficient" line forever and, yes, it's > true. But, as others have said, perception matters. > BTW..... if you find someone who wants the 3741 keypunch, ask them if they > want my old TAB decollator....

Comment

Working...
          X