• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology-Free Zones

** This thread discusses the article: Technology-Free Zones **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Technology-Free Zones **

Technology-Free Zones

I concur, wholeheartedly. Part of the problem isn't with technology, but with people. Most manners have gone out the window in the past decade. People see no problem in their self-centered, rude and dispruptive behavior in public places. Whether they're talking on a cell-phone through a movie, or talking to each other through a classical concert, there seems to be the idea that "nothing is more important that what I want to do at this very moment!" We've collectively become the "it's all about ME" generation. Maybe it was our over-indulgent parents or our disconnect from humanity via video games. Being in IT, I cherish NOT having to be at the beck and call of everyone in a moment's notice (and loathe the times that I'm on call and have to answer the calls and pages). My own feeling - if you're THAT important, people can wait for you to call them back. After all, that's why the good lord of technology invented voice mail.

Comment

Technology-Free Zones

I was mortified when I made the mistake of leaving my phone on ring mode at church once. Nothing is much more embarasing than having a crowd of people sitting there and beeping. Ever since then I try to make sure the phone is set to vibrate, and then I won't answer if something else is happening, like dinner in a restaurant. I don't try to bother people, but sometimes you go to a meeting and don't remember the phone. When I am driving down the road, I need the noise to let me know I have a call. When at a meeting, I don't like announcing it. I heard on the radio that Cell phones don't feed any of my sound to the ear, and regular phones do. As a result, we tend to think the caller can't hear and as a result are louder when talking. I go outside to talk in private when I can.

Comment

Technology-Free Zones

dhogancamp said:
        Nothing is much more embarasing than having a crowd of people sitting there and beeping.
        Yes, but I bet that half of the people around you checked to see if maybe it was their cell phone that was beeping.

Comment

Technology-Free Zones

anonymous said:
          We've collectively become the "it's all about ME" generation.
          Those people are completely foolish. Don't they know that it is NOT all about them. It is, in fact, all about me.

Comment

Technology-Free Zones

The technology exists... I read several months ago that Mexican Churches are employing Israeli cell signal jamming devices. Priests complained incessantly ringing cell phones were interrupting services. Reporters/papparazzi (sp?) covering a celebrity wedding first noticed that they couldn't get a signal. Unfortunately, the devices, widely deployed in Israel to disrupt cell phone activated bombings, are illegal in this country. Too bad.

Comment

Technology-Free Zones

Someone in my church one day forgot to set off his ringer and disrupted our priest's sermon. Our priest smiled and said, "If that is the bishop, please tell him that I am doing my job."

Comment

Working...
              X