Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplify Complexity

** This thread discusses the article: Simplify Complexity **
    I don't believe that MP3 players, as a category is a fad. The MP3 category, IMO, will eventually be the successor to purchasing CDs. The future will have people buying songs from the Internet instead of CDs. I believe the iPod as the "must have" MP3 player is the fad. Right now the iPod is the "status symbol" of MP3 players. Eventually someone will come out with a "cooler" product that put the iPod in the dust. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "dave400" wrote in message news:6b1fbfd5.14@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > The iPod has ALL of the earmarks of a fad item > > Granted I believe the assesment is still subjective....but I dont see iPODs or MP3 players in general exibiting all 8 attributes. IMO I would see it having earmarks 5 & 6 only, but could see an argument for 7....but all 8 ??????? > > 1. Simple > 2. Prescriptive > 3. Falsely encouraging > 4. One-Size-Fits-All > 5. Easy to Cut-and-Paste > 6. In tune with the Zeitgeist > 7. Novel, not radical > 8. Legitimized by Gurus and Disciples

Comment

Simplify Complexity

I believe the iPod as the "must have" MP3 player is the fad I would not see the specific brand as fad, but I understand what you are trying to say. But I would still argue the iPOD does not exhibit 1,2 or 3. Eventually someone will come out with a "cooler" product that put the iPod in the dust. Yes, its called planned obsolescence,someone will obsolete the current product its either yourself (Apple) or competition. Or perhaps it will be the content (e.g. Apple Music Store) rather then the device that drives the selection. The Sony PSP may be the product. Maybe its time to plan to order 3 for your daughters next year

Comment

Simplify Complexity

dave400 said: "The Sony PSP may be the product. Maybe its time to plan to order 3 for your daughters next year" Hah! They get one shot. After that they're on their own. Example, gave my college daughter my Canon G3 camera when I upgraded to a G5. It's a powerful digital camera. After a year I noticed she wanted a new digital camera for Christmas claiming the G3 was too bulky for her to carry in her purse. I told her to save up for the new digital camera from her earnings, Santa wasn't going to bring one! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Simplify Complexity

After a year I noticed she wanted a new digital camera for Christmas claiming the G3 was too bulky for her to carry in her purse. I told her to save up for the new digital camera from her earnings, Santa wasn't going to bring one! Santa, Pay no attention to this man who obviously is not into the spirit of giving. ....From someone who would really like a Nikon D70 for Christmas chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. Or more correctly "Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my daughters"

Comment

Simplify Complexity

I use a fifty-five year old "Realist" I found a store about 10 years ago that was going out of business, and they had more double-slide mounts than I could count. I bought the entire supply! You can't beat it for perspective. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X