Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Year's Eve Prognostications

** This thread discusses the article: New Year's Eve Prognostications **
    Speaking of boat anchors... and almost totally off topic. I have a bunch of old PCs of varying ages sitting at the bottom of a closet. I'd like to free up some space, so if anyone wants a boat anchor I'd be willing to let you have one cheap. I believe that they will work equally well with wood, fiberglass, aluminum, petroleum by-products or even nuclear waste boats. However, if you have the nuclear waste type, please send your request electronically. I don't want any physical object that has been anywhere near your boat.

Comment

Ya know, my debugger shows the result of "eval answer = 7 * 9" as 42. I wondered about that.

Comment

"if you are a regular reader of my tirades you should by now be used to hearing total nonsense from me. " You've always made perfect sense to me Joel. Just as long as I've got the Babble Fish handy!

Comment

M, Yes. My boat is named Woodpile. For photos, click here. As to disk bloat, I wrote the 1 million answers to disk with the answer in the first 1 byte field, and a memory dump in a series of 128-2048 byte fields. Just in case I wanted to debug it for some reason next year. -d

Comment

D, A well made wooden boat is really a work of art. I occassionally buy Wooden Boat Mag or Boat Building books just so I can page through and look at the Pictures. A well made fiberglass boat on the other-hand, isn't exactly an oxy-moron but more like a floating Clorox Bottle (which I understand to be the unflattering alias for Hunters). Though I have to admit that I've spent more than a few nights uhmmmmm.... "Waiting for the Fog to Lift", yeah that's it, in the V-Berth of one. And BTW.... Good job consuming DASD. Those Hardware salesman have to eat too. M

Comment

Ah, a true believer. Take good care of your Babble Fish, it will come in handy should you ever find yourself stuck on Damogran. Just steer clear of the Vogon Constructor Fleet. Oh, and happy holidays!

Comment

M said:
                I occassionally buy Wooden Boat Mag or Boat Building books just so I can page through and look at the Pictures.
                Finally, a man who is honest enough to admit that he buys it for the pictures not the intellectual articles. Does it have a good centerfold?

Comment

Try throwing one of them accross the room. If it breaks into lots of little pieces, I'll take the whole Batch. And just so they arrive in time for Christmas, Please ship FOB Fed-Ex Air. Thanks, Mike

Comment

If you like them wide in the beam, then this book is for You, Joel. But let me warn ya, these Ladies are Very High Maintenance and most are just a little Long in the Tooth. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I assume you're a land lubber, so wouldn't expect you to understand. ;-)

Comment

A land lubber? I'd say so. I get extremely nervous if I'm outside of a downtown area (any relatively safe city's downtown area) for more than half an hour. Maybe if I lived in Venice or Amsterdam ...

Comment

M, I hate to admit it, but I'm getting rid of Woodpile. She's just too expensive to maintain and operate. I'm donating it to a charity that will rebuild her and then probably sell. I'm getting a plastic boat with diesels. I wish I could keep it, though. There's nothing like a nice wood boat. It's pretty and has a stately ride. All that SOLID mahogony inside is awesome. And it's old growth wood with a fine grain you just don't see today. But $15,000/year in repairs is just too much for me. I bought it for $14,500 and have put about $45,000 in it. It's now worth about $15,000. I still know it's a good deal, but I can't seem to back it up with figures. Must be that faulty math co-processor. -d

Comment

Donate Hardware Select International and see if there is an option nearby. I did see a few based in different parts of Canada.

Comment

Always the Party-Pooper.

Comment

I tend to keep my computers until they are on their very last legs. I always sort of figured that these organizations would want equipment a little more recent than the punch card era. The Web site says:
                              Find nonprofit and school-based recyclers, which are ideal for donating working equipment less than five years old, and commercial recyclers, which are more appropriate for older or non-working equipment.
                              I think that all of my discards fit into the "older or non-working" category.

Comment

Working...
                              X