Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop! On Second Thought...

** This thread discusses the article: Stop! On Second Thought... **
    I must say that a government run television station is a little frightening. Here in the US the PBS TV and radio stations are scary enough. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "dmcd" wrote in message news:6b218c4a.12@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Just to clear something up about the UK TV Tax. It's not actually a tax, but a charge for having the BBC - the British Broadcasting Corporation is mostly funded by this charge. Which isn't too bad really, because you get several TV channels & radio stations without any commercials... It's a bit like CBC in Canada, just without the ads.

Comment

Chuck says: I must say that a government run television station is a little frightening.
      Here in the US the PBS TV and radio stations are scary enough."
      Yeah, but our PBS doesn't have "The Young Ones". -dan

Comment

Sounds like the lady's car, like her kids, are her responsibilty. No matter what "the car does," it's up to the individual owner to make sure it is behaving properly. And when good cars go bad, it is the owner's problem. Don't let your car go out on dates with other people who may be bad drivers! How on earth any judge could "presume" you were driving the car at the time of the infraction is beyond me. I thought everybody is "innocent until proven guilty" (silly, aren't I?). But in this case justice prevailed because the lady was able to prove she was innocent (an idea some judges apparently wouldn't even hear an argument about). Talk about scary......maybe the cameras need to take "drive by DNA samples" so the question of who's driving could not be disputed! Can't wait for this new "must have" technology!

Comment

The current annual charge is around 115GBP (approx. 213USD). Which does sound kinda scary, however the BBC is NOT government-run-media. It is very independent & regularly gets accused of being biased by all political parties! So I think that shows they must be pretty well balanced. And it's not exactly like PBS because you don't get these endless, dreadful donate-a-thons!

Comment

Sounds like the BBC is more centered than NPR aka National Propaganda Radio! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "dmcd" wrote in message news:6b218c4a.18@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > The current annual charge is around 115GBP (approx. 213USD). Which does sound kinda scary, however the BBC is NOT government-run-media. It is very independent & regularly gets accused of being biased by all political parties! So I think that shows they must be pretty well balanced. And it's not exactly like PBS because you don't get these endless, dreadful donate-a-thons!

Comment

Yeah, , , ,Wall Street Week, and National Review scare the hell outa me! Dave

Comment

I wish they'd get outsourced and see what they have to say about it then. Until then I'm enjoying being part of the Roman Empire conquering strange new worlds like Iraq and Mars on other countries money while Chinese slaves do our work. Oh wait, we have to pay the Chinese slaves and pay back all that money we've taken. Uh oh. I guess we don't have that Roman Empire thing down yet. rd

Comment

In case of photo tickets anywhere, the ticket is issued to the car owner and not the driver. The good thing is that there are no traffic points on photo tickets and the insurance does not climb up. If someone stole your car and broke the law, you walk away from tickets. However if you give it to the mechanic or loan it to your friends, it is your responsibility. Just like if that person hits someone and does not have insurance, YOU PAY!!! Six months ago, a kid rear ended my car. The kid pleaded that he had no insurance and no money. The car belonged to his girlfriends father who refused to get involved. However my insurance company got the insurance number of the car from registration office and got money from them. The girls father was very angry but his insurance company advised him that they had to pay and his insurance will go up. What he can do is sue the boy for damages. He is doing that! So the judge was not bothered with who drove the car but rather with who owned the car. The evidence submitted by my friend that it was in garage and not driveable, was dismissed because the certificate came from the very guy suspected of breaking the rule (i.e. the mechanic). My friend was adviced to sue the mechanic in small claims court. So the moral of the story, never lend guns and cars.

Comment

Working...
                  X