• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Replication

** This thread discusses the article: Pet Replication **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Pet Replication **

Pet Replication

I agree with you Joel. It would be far more beneficial to adopt a pet from a shelter than to clone Spot. This brings up a favorite "pet" peeve of mine. Pet owners who expect me to treat their pets as if they were human children. They have birthday parties where they expect gifts. When one friend's pet "graduated" from training and obedience school, they expected friends and family to treat Polly the same way we treated my son who recently graduated. We own a dog, two cats, a bird, a rabbit that died recently, and fish. Where approriate, they are all spayed/neutered and licensed. When Oreo died, we felt sad for about a day, took care of the remains and went on with our lives. Our dog went missing recently and we recovered her yesterday. We think she was stolen out of our fenced in backyard. It was great to get her back. But, I know that if one of our children was missing, the emotional toll would have been much, much greater and the reunion much more important. If I had to choose my children over my animals, I would choose my children. No question. Some people I know would have a much harder time choosing. For pet lovers: If you really care about your pet, have them spayed or neutered, don't them roam, and don't dress them in clothes and hats. Let them keep their dignity. Thanks Joel. Tom.

Comment

Pet Replication

Tom said:
      When one friend's pet "graduated" from training and obedience school, they expected friends and family to treat Polly the same way we treated my son who recently graduated.
      I was just wondering, do you know what color cap & gown graduates of Polly's school wear? Who gave the address to the graduating class, Lassie? Is Polly going on to do post-graduate work?

Comment

Pet Replication

My first thought was to agree with you completely Joel. But then I pondered a bit further. Perhaps we are overlooking something here. We didn’t consider the potential military possibilities here. Is there an enemy flexing their military muscles on your border, threatening your population centers, or challenging your claim to a particular territory? No problem: Release the hounds. It is a potentially brilliant military strategy. Awaiting the day when Genetic Savings and Clone of Sausalito’s technology is available for canines, we clone tens of thousands of, how do I put this nicely, less than desirable breeds of dogs - French bulldogs, Chihuahuas, and Poodles come to mind – and release them on the enemy. (I’m envisioning a WW II type airdrop, but an amphibious release would work just as well.) In the meantime, while their government and military are debating what to do with them and the animal lovers dominate the media coverage and tie up the court systems blocking any and all proposed solutions, you can engage in a surprise attack. It gives a whole new meaning to the song by the Baha Men. I haven’t even envisioned the possibilities that exist for releasing non-pet, nuisance species, such as mosquitoes, skunks, boll weevils, snipes (I never did see what one of those looks like, but that’s another story.) Of course cultural peculiarities must also be considered – obviously releasing large numbers of cloned horses in France would only serve as a food source for the cowering masses loosely referred to as the French army. But in general, the possibilities are limited only to imagination of our military planners…

Comment

Pet Replication

jsniessen said:
          Perhaps we are overlooking something here. We didn’t consider the potential military possibilities here.
          I think you're onto something here. But why stop at the military? It's so hard to get good people to run for political office these days because of the abuse they have to put up with and because if they're any good they can almost certainly earn more in the private sector. So, why not clone animals to serve as politicians? I'm thinking horses. The beauty of it is, to match the calibre and demeanor of some of our politicians we wouldn't have to clone the whole animal, just half, and it wouldn't be the half that eats.

Comment

Pet Replication

Joel, Graduation was taken very seriously by those involved. I went to it out of curiosity and was amused by the ceremony. Matching caps and gowns were worn by the dogs AND the "parents". Blue for males and pink for females. Most of the dogs had squirmed out of them. So much for obedience. "Valedictorian" (they actually called her that) was the "parent" of the dog who had earned the highest "grades". It was hilarious. Of course, the families of the graduates didn't like that I was taking the event lightly. They played a recording of "Pomp and Circumstance" and handed out diplomas. The dogs were suppose to carry them in their mouths but that deteriorated quickly. Most of the "parents" ended up carrying them. This has given me a new pet peeve. Pet owners who consider themselves "parents" of their pets. Tom.

Comment

Pet Replication

Tom, I'm a very trusting (some would say gullible) sort of guy. Please tell me that you were kidding. I would never have asked about the gowns or graduation address if I thought there was any chance that there actually were gowns and a graduation speech. That is much funnier than anything I wrote. I particularly like your description of the diploma ceremony. Joel

Comment

Pet Replication

Joel, I am not kidding. I regret not having a camera to capture everything. Although, I think this happens every few months at the pet training place. I can try to go again and get photos. They may not let me in after I made light of their proceedings. Tom.

Comment

Working...
                X