• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailing for Dollars

** This thread discusses the article: Mailing for Dollars **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Mailing for Dollars **

Mailing for Dollars

I agree! If they took the rebate off the price up front, everyone would get the rebate, and that would cost vendors too much money. I bought a computer at Staples the other day and found out I couldn't return it if I sent for the rebate. I also had to have the right reciept to get a purchase refund. I bought several other items with rebates, and by the time I got through collecting the right UPC codes, copy of the receipt, and other reuqired products from my stacks of receipts, of course the rebate ended.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

As always, I enjoy reading Joel's articles. I agree about the rebates. I usually first see if a rebate offered, if it is, I just skip the ad. As for dhogancamp, ask for a separate receipt for mail rebates, usually they will give you one. If they will not, don't buy the item, I'll bet they change their mind real quick. I know Office Max gives you a separate receipt automatically.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

At the risk of giving away MC Press secrets here, I should mention that I usually have a at least couple of article in the hopper and through the editing process at all times. Because a couple of MC TNT issues were cancelled over Christmas/New Years and one that already had been written as a New Year's Eve issue bumped another one that had been written for Dec. 17 into the new year, and the more recently written tsumami-related tirade, due to it's timeliness, bumped this article back yet another week, this article was actually written well more than a month ago. After I submitted this article and it had gone through final editing, I saw a television program that looked at mail-in rebates. I was shocked to hear someone from the industry say that usually less than 10% of people send in the rebate forms, but most people still take the rebate into account when making their purchase decision. Sounds like one heck of a great deal for the vendors.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

The store gave me separate copies of the receipt. I got them separated as I planned to send for the rebate. As I decided to return the computer, I grabbed the wrong one. When I got to the store, they said they couldn't give me a refund with the "Rebate Copy" of the receipt. After I explained how inconvient it would be to a manager, she overrode the rule and took it back. Just added hassles.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

Joe, I'm one of those people that takes into account the rebate when I purchase. I'm also one of the 10% that always sends in the rebate. I actually like the rebate process. Having worked for manufacturers that offered rebates I know that a manufacturer can offer a larger discount via a rebate program than if they were to reduce the price uniformly. For example, if a computer manufacturer offers a $200 rebate on a computer knowing that only 10%, on average, return the rebate they would only be able to offer a $20 price reduction across the board for the same cost. As a consumer I like the idea that I'm getting a $200 discount at the cost of the 80% that don't spend the effort to send in the rebate. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "MC Web Master" wrote in message news:6b2137a2.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > This is a discussion about Mailing for Dollars. > > Click here for the article <http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@23...T.17@.6b1ba8f0>.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

One of the comments is that rebates generate mailing lists for the retailer. The way most retailers get mailing lists is to ask for a zip code when a purchase is made with a credit card. A retailer can send your name, which they get from the credit card, along with the zip code to a "reverse append" company like Experian and Experian will return the full mailing address of the owner of the card. Experian will be about 90% successful in getting the mailing address when they know the name and zip code. So, if you want to stay off mailing lists give a bogus zip code or just decline. Another way retailers get your name on a mailing list is if you return anything. They'll always ask for your full address. That address will forever be tied to your credit card in their database. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "MC Web Master" wrote in message news:6b2137a2.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > This is a discussion about Mailing for Dollars. > > Click here for the article <http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@23...T.17@.6b1ba8f0>.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

I always fall for the rebate trap and always regret it but the advertised numbers catch my eye and I'm off on another goose chase. It becomes a cat and mouse game where the vendors think up new ways of denying the rebate. Last summer I purchased a new video card and disk drive under rebate conditions sent in the Rebate copy and was denied because the said the rebate copy was not sufficient. They wanted the original copy.

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

>...the vendors think up new ways of denying the rebate. > Last summer I purchased a new video card and disk > drive under rebate conditions sent in the Rebate copy > and was denied because the said the rebate copy was > not sufficient. They wanted the original copy. I've taken to literally putting each rebatable item on a separate, original receipt. That is, I separate them on the counter so that the store rings up the video card, I pay for it and get my receipt, then they ring up the disk drive, I pay for it and get my receipt, etc. Annoys the cashier and the folks in line behind me, but that's how the vendors are making me play the game, with separate original receipts for all items. --buck

Comment

Mailing for Dollars

jgolds wrote: > I always fall for the rebate trap and always regret it but the > advertised numbers catch my eye and I'm off on another goose chase. > It becomes a cat and mouse game where the vendors think up new ways > of denying the rebate. Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon of a couple of years ago: Dogbert was telling Dilbert about his latest scheme of selling something worth only a buck or two but selling it for a million and one dollars, but including a million dollar rebate. "Just think, it'll only take one person to forget the rebate and we're set for life". Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X