Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third-Party Software

** This thread discusses the article: Third-Party Software **
    Bob, As a vendor of an iSeries programmer productivity tool, I thank you for your poll and your article on Third-Party Software, and I agree almost completely with your conclusions (and frustration). I have spent four decades observing hundreds (really thousands) of IBM mid-range programmers flounder along producing half or less what they should be producing because they are not using available Third-Party productivity tools effectively. Programmers will use productivity tools like a pen, and paper, a calculator, and an occasional programming book without considering how much more effective and valuable they are by using them, while simply ignoring incredibly valuable and useful software productivity tools as if they diminished the perceived skills needed by a programmer. I also have been a contract programmer or consultant programmer at dozens of companies, both large and small. The shops that invested in critical programmer software productivity tools always seemed to get far more out of their in-house programmers and out of me and to develop superior and higher quality applications. Out-sourcing programming work makes it imperative that in-house programmers who plan to survive be as good as they can be. That means utilizing all of their capability aided by powerful productivity tools that their competitors routinely use.

Comment

Third-Party Software

Biil, Chuck has a valid point, but I find it interesting that many people do tend to slant "facts" to validate their perspective. "We all do it." To me they are the same, paying for a new version or an upgraded version is paying one in the same. I know AS/400 software companies that charge you maintenance, optionally. But if you install their software in 1997 and then want the latest version, they charge you for the missed years of upgrades--just like Illinois does for years you don't buy license plat stickers. But, if you don't pay for maintenance for say 5 years, you end up paying 5 years worth of maintence when you want/need the upgrade. Sometime they make you buy a new version. A PC product you typically only get upgrades at upgrade prices if you have "at least" a certain version. MS Office is an strange example since it really hasn't change since Office 97.

Comment

Third-Party Software

Bob Cozzi wrote: > I know AS/400 software companies that charge you maintenance, > optionally. But if you install their software in 1997 and then want > the latest version, they charge you for the missed years of > upgrades--just like Illinois does for years you don't buy license > plat stickers. > > But, if you don't pay for maintenance for say 5 years, you end up > paying 5 years worth of maintence when you want/need the upgrade. > Sometime they make you buy a new version. > A PC product you typically only get upgrades at upgrade prices if you > have "at least" a certain version. MS Office is an strange example > since it really hasn't change since Office 97. Actually, for large companies that have volume licenses with Microsoft, it changed a while ago. They took on the model very similar to AS/400 software licensing where you pay so much for each seat and you are eligible to get any and all upgrades to the products you've licensed for the year. No longer did companies have to worry about different versions on different PCs or trying to budget for the year, it's all set ahead of time. The downside is that very few people need to continually update the software they use, but if they aren't on the new licensing terms, they'll be buying the software if they need to upgrade. Bill

Comment

Working...
        X