• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Is Far Too Easy

** This thread discusses the article: Email Is Far Too Easy **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Email Is Far Too Easy **

Email Is Far Too Easy

The other solution proposed by Bob Metcalfe is micro-postage charges for e-mail. You can always get to someone's commitment level when you get into their wallet.

Comment

Email Is Far Too Easy

It's hard to emphasize the need for critical proofreading with the phrase "reread that you wrote"! Is this another case of overreliance on spell checker?

Comment

Email Is Far Too Easy

Yes, somebody emailed me about that faux pas shortly after the article appeared. Of all the places for me to make a typo--just when I'm telling people to proofread what they write. How embarrassing! I could cover by saying that the mistake was intentional and meant as a joke ... but that would be a lie. The mistake was supposed to have been corrected. There were some problems with the MC Press site Friday. I guess the old version crept back in.

Comment

Email Is Far Too Easy

It's not email that's the problem. It's the quality of communication from people, in general. These same people would probably sit down and write a letter the same way. I've seen things in my local newspaper that practically murder the English language, and spelling (forget that--not even spell checker could help some of these people). The population in general seems to have taken a real slide in education in this area. The fast pace of life today would have made our ancestors heads spin. Consider the fact that I live about 55 miles north of Pittsburgh and drive into the city to work every day. I often think about how long that trip would have taken my ancestors, who lived where I do, 200 years ago. They would have thought I was insane. Technology (email) though just helps some people these days be dumber faster than they normally would anyway! I proofread everything I send, and yes, occasionally something slips through!

Comment

Email Is Far Too Easy

EDIguru, I've seen responders in newsgroups put their entire thoughts in a single paragraph making it very hard to follow and easy to get lost! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "EDIguru" wrote in message news:6b220817.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > It's not email that's the problem. It's the quality of communication from > people, in general. These same people would probably sit down and write a > letter the same way. I've seen things in my local newspaper that > practically murder the English language, and spelling (forget that--not > even spell checker could help some of these people). The population in > general seems to have taken a real slide in education in this area. The > fast pace of life today would have made our ancestors heads spin. Consider > the fact that I live about 55 miles north of Pittsburgh and drive into the > city to work every day. I often think about how long that trip would have > taken my ancestors, who lived where I do, 200 years ago. They would have > thought I was insane. Technology (email) though just helps some people > these days be dumber faster than they normally would anyway! I proofread > everything I send, and yes, occasionally something slips through!

Comment

Working...
            X