Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Dangers in a Virtual Life

** This thread discusses the article: Real Dangers in a Virtual Life **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Real Dangers in a Virtual Life **

Real Dangers in a Virtual Life

I agree completely, the next generation is turning into zombies, with no social abilities, or physical abilities whatsoever. Great article!

Comment

Someone wrote: "... the next generation is turning into zombies, with no social abilities, or physical abilities whatsoever." Nonsense! Every generation says the same thing about the next. Hans

Comment

Woa now, I know my tongue-in-cheek sarcasm detector may be malfunctioning today, but let me inject some preemptive refutations for the "YEAH! THOSE DARN KIDS!" posts. As one of the Wii playing generation, let me just say that most games on the Wii are meant to get you up and moving and into more social interaction than what you'd get in what is ordinarily a sedentary activity perfomed in solitude. They're almost like party games to me, especially Wii Sports. It's also an avenue to physical activity gamers may otherwise lack. Wii Boxing can actually be a pretty good aerobic workout, without the black eye. Wii Tennis is pretty lame in that regard, though, because you dont' have to run back and forth across the court. These games are not replacements for exercise, but they're a fun augment for your workouts. The warnings on the boxes of video games are generally for people that suffer from epileptic siezures. They can be triggered by flashing lights OR a flashing tv screen. If you're one of the people those warnings are intended for you'll know it in advance. If you get a chance to try it out, you should play a Wii game sometime. They're really quite fun and will most probably not leave you convulsing in the floor...unless you get hit in the head with a Wiimote while playing tennis. Brian H.

Comment

Your sarcasm detector is working just fine, but there is always a grain or two of truth - magnified to the point of absurdity, of course - in effective sarcasm. Actually, I'd like to try out a Wii game, but I'm afraid I'd like it, which would then make it difficult to denigrate (tongue-in-cheek, naturally) the great swath of humanity that plays it. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

As an old fan of the game of cricket (played in England and all of its former slave countries), I was shocked on the pathetic performance of India and Pakistan in the world cup last month. I asked all guys in India and Pakistan and here is what I summed up. "Cricket was a game of middle class, educated, urban kids. These kids are now hooked up on internet, leaving the game for wanna be urban kids of rural areas. There is no talent coming up from cities" Also horrible is the English of these kids. They blame it on the chat language they use on SMS and IM. I can't believe how horrible my own English has become. I can blame it on the typo, the gangsta and teen movies I see, but my English freak cousin can pick any kid book from Barnes and Nobles and point out a million mistakes. However you have a point. There is a generalization here, and I am telling my kids what my parents told me.

Comment

It's almost irrelevant (unfortunately). Many people occupying corner offices are unable to spell, or construct a simple comment. That alone is a sad commentary. The situation becomes more difficult when trying to emphasize to the next generation, the importance of proper English as a tool toward success. This is nothing new. Dizzy Dean was called on the carpet for his commentary as an announcer back in the 40s and 50s. My parents warned me about emulating the language heard on "Popeye" cartoons. What is new is the pervasiveness of poor grammer that is taking place at high levels. I do believe that gaming is a step better than just watching TV. My rationale is that gaming requires input from the gamer, whereas TV merely bombards and sedates the watcher. Actual conversation overheard on the streets of NYC ---- Tourist: Do you know the way to the South Street Seaport? New Yorker: Why yes I do know the way.... Thanks for asking. Dave

Comment

Actually we had a family debate on "TV vs Internet" last week. In the end we all agreed that our kids are being on the internet is definitely better than our watching TV. On the internet there is a cyber community and kids develop "Cyber social skills" atleast. TV made us anti-social. There was a concern long time ago about video games until DDR came up on PS2. The biggest opponents of videogames, upon seeing my daughter loose weight by dancing on the DDR mat, changed their minds. WII went a step ahead of the simple DDR, it is quite simple. The basic problem is, good communication depends a lot on good language skills. Kids are loosing interest in reading books, especially classics, where the real language resides. As for modern books, my English freak cousin and I paid a visit to Barnes and Nobles last week. To his horror, the kiddie section had books with horrible grammer. I am trying to get my kids into reading the classics I read in my school days (40 years ago? . You know, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Rider Haggard, Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas, etc. Or atleast essayists like Aldox Huxley, G.K. Chesterton, Arnold Toynbee. God it has been a while, I don't even remember their spelling properly.

Comment

Hassan, There are places that have DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) contests. The winners usually get prizes if the contest is for kids. I've been to one in a bar where money was on the line. It was hilarious to watch drunks trying to follow the dance steps. There were a couple of good dancers who treated DDR like a sport. They work out for it, warm up before dancing, and cool down after. They took it pretty seriously. There are two things I dislike about internet and phone text technology. 1. the use of all lower case letters without punctuation it really makes it hard to read and makes the writer look like an idiot i wish people would stop doing it when they write like this it becomes habit and their normal communication suffers 2. The use of abbreviations and what is called leet. Some examples of leet: Leet Speak: l33t sp34k. The 3's are used as backwards e's. The 4 is an a. I am an RPG programmer: i @m 4n rp9 pR0GR4mM3r. My favorite author is HG Wells: MY faVOriTE 4u+hoR i$ h9 WeLL$. Tom

Comment

Hassan: Excellent points! It always amazes me when I hear TV networks complain about declining numbers of viewers as if that were a bad thing. It's a Good Thing! These days, we have more and more options to occupy our time. Hey, I've been unemployed for almost a week now, and I've never been busier! I still only watch TV in the evening after I put my daughter to bed. (BTW, she loves reading. I hope she keeps it up as she gets older.) Regarding the classics, many of them are no longer under copyright and can be read online, thus making them more accessible than ever. Cheers! Hans

Comment

It's almost irrelevant (unfortunately) Almost! I am one of the guys who have a (now) horrible English and yet occupy a corner office. It so happened that after three years of unemployment and my misadventure with trucking business (where I lost all my money), I finally got my visa straight and came back to the USA. Here I was surrounded by red necks who hated everything about me. To make matter worse for my nerves, my colored manager told me that the only reason he is surviving is because he return twice the output of a white man. If I am to survive, I have to produce twice the white boys around me. The result was that with my skills rusted in past three years, I went into panic mode and worked some 80 hours a week (billing 40). I skyrocketed within a couple of years to be what I am today. The moral of the story is, the guys with bad English and occupying corner offices have other things. Some have high productivity, some have high connections This does not make good language irrelevant. If the guy with high connections returned high productivity, and had good English, he would have skyrocketed to further heights.

Comment

Working...
                      X