• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Opportunities

** This thread discusses the article: Lost Opportunities **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Lost Opportunities **

Lost Opportunities

You make a very good point about the lost resources spent fighting spyware etc. However it is not really that different from the extra money I spent putting locks on all my doors and windows to keep thieves out, or the money we all spend to pay for police etc. to prevent crimes, capture those that commit crimes anyway, then put them away somewhere. Not to mention all of the cost of all those prisons and prisoners. I suppose as long as there are people on this earth some of them will disobey the rules cause trouble for the others. maj

Comment

Lost Opportunities

majenkins said:
      However it is not really that different from the extra money I spent putting locks on all my doors and windows to keep thieves out, or the money we all spend to pay for police etc. to prevent crimes, capture those that commit crimes anyway, then put them away somewhere. Not to mention all of the cost of all those prisons and prisoners. I suppose as long as there are people on this earth some of them will disobey the rules cause trouble for the others.
      Yes, absolutely. There are opportunity costs whenever we have to expend resources protecting ourselves from bad guys, costs that we could avoid if everybody would just live ethical lives. But, I'm supposed to write TECH tirades, so I limited my futile griping to just tech-related opportunity costs.

Comment

Lost Opportunities

Simple. Eliminate the bad humans. Eliminate: remove them in some fashion from the opportunity to remove the flow of money from where you want it to go....but, there is a common problem, from my humble perch atop of nothing, as I live below sea level, the humans who have these grand noble causes that everyone loves but as humans we are powerless to solve, are usually the same humans who will go out of their way to prevent any real policing, punishment, retribution, or elimination of bad humans who interupt their money flow to their wish list and insist on making anyone who earns a decent living off of making their life any better feel guilty for doing so. Become 'pro-choice' choose to eliminate bad humans.

Comment

Lost Opportunities

ctibodoe said:
          Become 'pro-choice' choose to eliminate bad humans.
          I'm almost afraid to ask (for two reasons: I may not want to know the answer; and I'm afraid of where it will lead this forum), but you are joking, right? You aren't suggesting the death penalty for all anti-social behavior are you?

Comment

Lost Opportunities

Nah, not the death penalty for everyone, then we wouldn't have any caneings, dunkings, water tortue and other goodies. Really, I was just thinking of all the millions that could be saved if those reallllly violent types weren't looking at cable tv, while earning law degrees. All of that money could go to those noble causes, instead of to babysitting vermin until they get back on the streets. And then all of those repeat offenders, would kinda magiccally disappear, then there magically wouldn't be as many crimes and then magically there would be more money still for nobler causes. I just like to do what people who are 180 degrees out of where I am from do, point out how silly they are to me. Like just the other day we(the USA) decide its okay to take your noble cause money and babysit the DC sniper for the rest of his life if he was not 18 when he was a sniping. But, we still allow a girl under 18 to choose to kill a beating heart ( I have one of those, do you?) If you were a US citizen, think of your noble cause money being spent by that sniper, instead of a company who makes money off of correcting the mayhem caused by bad humans who have the grace of pro choicers to keep us up to our eyeballs in just bad stuff. I would like to be able to give you your noble cause money by doing something good for humanity, not by complaining about humans who make more money than you, which ain't got a chance of getting you any noble cause money.

Comment

Lost Opportunities

ctibodoe said:
              I would like to be able to give you your noble cause money by doing something good for humanity, not by complaining about humans who make more money than you, which ain't got a chance of getting you any noble cause money.
              If I came across as complaining about humans who make more money than me then I apologize. That was certainly not my intent. I know that I am painted here with the "liberal" label. On purely social issues that is usually a fair label. However, despite the label, I am also a fairly vigorous supporter of free enterprise. I believe that, as long as they act ethically (which includes honestly and without the use of force), people should be allowed to make as much money as they possibly can. I don't begrudge anyone making more money than I do (although I would certainly be thrilled to make more money than I do now). Furthermore, I have absolutely no problem with people earning their money by supplying good anti-spyware software. There is certainly a need for it. I was just lamenting the fact that there is a need for it. I know that it is purely wishful thinking that we could reach a stage where the need would not exist. I am certain that we will never correct all antisocial behavior in my lifetime, but forgive me my occasional dreams.

Comment

Working...
              X