• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Tech Hunting

** This thread discusses the article: High-Tech Hunting **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: High-Tech Hunting **

High-Tech Hunting

Over 40 years ago, when I was a little little kid in Hyderabad, India, my father was a banker by profession and a hunter by hobby. Being the only English speaking person in the area around the jungles, he had lots of visitors from UK and around seeking him as a guide. They knew him from a friend of a friend of a friend. Dad never took me to hunting until one day when my bawling broke all records. Riding his jeep, I spotted a herd of deers jumping in the air and the sight absolutely thrilled me. I was so happy that I started laughing. Then my dad took his gun and bang! one of the deers fell. His bleeding and culvulsion was very traumatic for me. All of a sudden dad and his fellow Englishmen looked very "evil" to me. It took me a long time to forgive dad for the killing.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Let me say this; I am not a hunter. I am however, a serious fisherman. What everyone needs to understand is that neither hunting or fishing are sports. They are businesses. Big business. If you can develop a new widget for either on of these businesses, you stand to make a lot of money. So, please keep PETA out of this. It is not about Bambi or animal rights, it is just another way to make a buck.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

This tirade reminds me of the marketing guys that proudly admit they have never written a line of code in their lives yet insist that programming that extra feature should be super simple because there are so many tools available.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

It's hard to draw a balance. I feel that organizations like PETA go way way overboard, OTOH, I would never intentionally harm an animal and have extraordinarily little sympathy for those that do. I reside only twenty miles from the New York City border, but rejoice at the deer, raccoon, skunk, and woodchuck that wander through my backyard and visit the feeders that I provide. My cat is highly entertained by the variety of birds that visit the window feeder. I understand that we have wiped out most of the natural predators, and that culling the herd is necessary to prevent starvation and disease, but I am not comfortable with the process. Dave

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

As to the article, I would like to respond by saying that I also looked at this web site. I agree that there is not place for that technology in the sport of hunting. Unfortunately, as stated in another posting, there is the business of hunting as well. All too often, it is difficult to tell the difference. The item about predators being irradicated and tramatically reduce is not entirely correct on a couple points. I have seen areas of northern Minnesota where the number of wolves, coyotes, and bear have been on a steady increase. The deer population is also on the increase. The fact of this point is that deer are very prolific and adaptable. Just recently, a 260 class white-tail deer was struck by a car just beside the governor's mansion in Des Moines, Iowa. Another point is that in the upper midwest there are quite a large number of IT professionals that are also hunters and read these articles.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

nickmart wrote: The item about predators being irradicated and tramatically reduce is not entirely correct on a couple points. Please go back and read the statement. I stand by it. It is true that wolves are being deliberately introduced to some areas, bears and coyotes who are omnivores are also gaining ground. OTOH there are only about a dozen Florida Panthers left in the wild. Lynx, Wildcat, and Bobcat have been eliminated from the entire southern part of what was once their territory. Ocelots (perhaps the most intelligent cat) are endangered even in Canada. Several species of Northeastern Fox are completely extinct, and the black-footed ferret is quite near extinction. River and Sea otters are victims of pollution more than development. My friends who hunt agree with me that a responsible overseeing of our natural world is required. For instance several highways in my area have been built with sub-passages that allow deer to migrate naturally without being impaled on anyone's hood ornament. Dave

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Until it becomes political. Did the other kids pick on you in school, Joel? You could write your tirade and still get a laugh out of avid hunters if you left Bambi (politics) out of it.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Let's see ......... Bambi was a movie ..... Bambi was fictitious; Bambi's mother was fictitious; The Hunter's were fictitious; Oh, my God! No animals were really killed in this movie!

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

ctibodoe said:
                      Did the other kids pick on you in school, Joel?
                      How did you know? Could it be my neurotic tendencies? Could it be my rooting for Bambi and Bambi's mother over the hunters? Or were you one of the other kids at my school? ctibodoe said:
                      Bambi (politics) If you are reading my use of Bambi in the article as a allegory for politics then you are reading way, WAY too much into my articles. I'm not nearly that clever. I was just going for a little bit of cute humor (admittedly a very little bit).

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Bambi was fictitious?!! Next thing you are going to tell me that there is no Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. How did the focus in this forum shift to Bambi? It was a throw-away line meant to be mildly humorous.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Hassan, Thanks for that reminiscence. Based on the forums attached to previous articles, it was not the direction that I feared that this forum would take. I enjoyed your response much more. (No, I'm not going to say where I feared this forum to go, because then it will go there.) Joel

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Just for the record, I'm a marketing guy, but I was a programmer for about nine years and I still remember how hard it is to code things.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Maybe you could do a little research on political articles, gun control, hunting, and 'Bambi', but, I think you already have done that. My turn to funny now, lets see if you laugh. So now its time to dumb down the hunters: In the latest installment of liberal dumbing down, hunters have to penalize themselves to be politically correct, just like everywhere else, the quest for excellence in doing anything is just not acceptable, I guess that is why some publications have to put on some less than excellent commentators, who remind you of just that premise in about every other paragraph they write.

Comment

Working...
                              X