Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-Tech Hunting

** This thread discusses the article: High-Tech Hunting **
    I have nothing against hunting in general, although I am not a hunter. I just think that if you want to hunt for pleasure (as opposed to hunting to survive) then you should make it a challenge. Take some shorts, a tee-shirt, moccasins and a knife and go for it. If you can sneak up on a deer and kill it with a knife, that's hunting. If you hide in the bushes or in a tree and wait for the deer to come to you, that's ambushing, not hunting, and certainly not something of which to be proud.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

ctibodoe said:
      Maybe you could do a little research on political articles, gun control, hunting, and 'Bambi', but, I think you already have done that.
      When you say "I think you already have done that." You give me way, way, WAY to much credit. I'm basically an exceptionally lazy guy. Does this mean that I cannot mention Bambi without someone assuming (incorrectly) that I'm trying to make a political statement? Just for the record, to be 100% honest and serious, that never entered my mind when I wrote those lines.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

I completely agree with the article. Hunting for survival is fine, but hunting just for killing is plain cruel. There ought to be better ways to get the Adrenaling pumped up.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

I'll add my two cents worth here. You are partially correct. Those of who set out into the wild, either to hunt or just observe, are well aware of the sensory advantages that wild animals have over humans and just how hard it is to get close enough for either a photo or a shot. The animals are not at a disadvantage in most cases. Hunter success rates are generally well below 20% on the average and for truly wiley game can be in the single digits. Thus most of us enjoy the sport whether we get game or not. I have a friend who spent the first two days of deer season last year literally 'treed" in his tree stand as a mother bear and two cubs cavorted below him. He obviously didn't see a deer either day but we all enjoyed the great video footage he got. Contrary to your belief, many of us do hunt for food. Wild game presents one of the few opportunities to eat meat which hasn't been loaded with hormones, packed with antibiotics and fed on the by-products of its dead brethren. I plant several acres in clover and buckwheat to feed a herd of about 20 deer so I can "harvest" a couple for the freezer each year. Oh, and by the way, by hunting season Bambi wouldn't even recognize his mother, she has already chased him away and is on the prowl for a new boy friend. That having been said, very few real hunters think highly the prospect of remote "hunting via camera". As we all know, the last few decades have produced a bumper crop of people with a lot more money than brains who have a propensity to waste their riches in truly novel fashions. They probably also drive Porsch SUV's.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

I Golf it's not about smacking around a little white ball, but the clubs keep getting better at doing just that. Rackets in tennis and racket ball keep getting bigger. Can you think of a sport that hasn't gotten better equipment from technology in the past 10 years? So what's your gripe?

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

mmurphy1 said:
              I Golf it's not about smacking around a little white ball, but the clubs keep getting better at doing just that. Rackets in tennis and racket ball keep getting bigger. Can you think of a sport that hasn't gotten better equipment from technology in the past 10 years? So what's your gripe?
              I'm not a golfer or a tennis player so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in tennis and golf you rarely kill a living thing as part of the game (although if I played golf I would, no doubt, kill a number inadvertently). My gripe is that if you are going to kill something as part of a sport, the least you can do is keep the sport in it.

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

So, we should be able to apply your programing experience to connecting dot "Lots of tools does not a successful programmer make" to dot "lots of tools does not a successfful hunter make". Would that be a strech?

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Paul Stagnoli said:
                  connecting dot "Lots of tools does not a successful programmer make" to dot "lots of tools does not a successfful hunter make".
                  Sounds about right to me. Although, I question whether when you kill things over the Internet you should still call yourself a "hunter" or just a video game player. But, a programmer with a lot of tools is still a programmer, unless, of course, we ever reach the point where the tools do all of the programming automatically without any help from the programmer, in which case the proper name for the programmer would then be "unemployed".

Comment

High-Tech Hunting

Paul, Yeah, but without any tools a hunter is basically a wrestler. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Paul Stagnoli" wrote in message news:6b229385.22@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > So, we should be able to apply your programing experience to connecting > dot "Lots of tools does not a successful programmer make" to dot "lots of > tools does not a successfful hunter make". > > Would that be a strech?

Comment

Working...
                    X