• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trustworthy Record-Keeping

** This thread discusses the article: Trustworthy Record-Keeping **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Trustworthy Record-Keeping **

Trustworthy Record-Keeping

** This thread discusses the article: Trustworthy Record-Keeping **
    It has often seemed to me that computers work the best when dealing with information that is, or can be, changeable. Most of IT's time is consumed with meeting short or intermediate term goals. The most common problem in this environment is not information that needs to be "fixed" as of a certain date, but either the organization doesn't have the information, or it has the wrong organization, or it's too detailed, or not detailed enough, or the distribution mechanisms are lacking. Also, I think you are referring to a legal standard of proof. This requires you to know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a certain piece or set of information was a certain way on a certain date. Computing systems can meet a less rigourous standard of proof. The bottom line is that if you want to set a fact as of a certain date, publish it. Even if it's only an internal publication or to a limited audience. That way you get words on paper and witnesses. Both will help you to get your legal standard of proof. That's one key reason why public organizations publish their year end financial statements. By the way, if the example document was so important to this person & organization, why did they wait 7 years to convert it to a format current within that organization? I know most of the reasons that would be given, and they just don't hold up to strong scrutiny. A legal standard of scrutiny, if you will!

Comment

Working...
    X