Acquisitions Fuel System i's Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquisitions Fuel System i's Future

** This thread discusses the article: Acquisitions Fuel System i's Future **
    This is a discussion about Acquisitions Fuel System i's Future.

Click here for the article.

I can't argue with the general logic behind the article. However, I don't believe that all change is good and that it should be addressed as such. Historically, Help Systems has been a good vendor. Many years ago they had the friendliest licensing practices of any AS/400 vendor. However, over the years those have changed where I would argue that they are now the most expensive vendor and their product delivery does not warrant this cost. For example, immediately after the acquisition we were notified that our maintenance costs would be increasing immediately in 2007. No justification, no improvement, no options, no benefit. Immediately people will argue that there will be future improvement. Right.......I will use that line with my boss and ask for a pay increase. If he doesn't think I deserver it I will just tell him I will get better in the future. At least I now know how those communities who get annexed and have their taxes increase with absolutely no benefit. Don't get me wrong. Help Systems makes good products. The problem is I think they are above average at best. The scheduling tool is good but it has severe limitations for large companies with complex scheduling needs. Their report distribution software is very expensive for something that does bursting and bundling. It's web solution is very antiquated based on needs that have been present for many years. This isn't sour grapes. I would still recommend their product to others. But with very important caveats. And one of those is their licensing practices. As mentioned previously, Help Systems had the best licensing practices out there. Buy a product, upgrade your server later, there was no need to pay increased license fees, only pay the change in maintenance fees. How cool is that? Actually, I will rephrase and state that it was cool because it no longer exists. As well has their tiering changed. More and more tiers as the servers have grown. You might hear some excuse that this is best to help price the product for the different users. However, the granularity increases the chance of a license charge to existing customers greatly. Past history indicates that Help Systems makes good products but that their licensing is about as trustworthy as Microsoft's. It is based on treating existing customers as cash cows. I like their commitment to the platform but I don't know if I appreciate the arrogance and the cost that goes with it.

Comment

Their licensing tactics have been less than customer friendly and continue with the ASC acquisition.

Comment

Working...
      X