Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Human Intelligence

** This thread discusses the article: Artificial Human Intelligence **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Artificial Human Intelligence **

Artificial Human Intelligence

In most cases (mine included) wouldn't this be an oxymoron. Why would we want this artificially?

Comment

Perhaps its like artificial sweetener? The real stuff tastes good and is high in calories. When you engineer the calories out, you are left with something that just gives you cancer. Hmmm... Sounds like it has potential military applications.

Comment

Jlowary520 said:
        In most cases (mine included) wouldn't this be an oxymoron.
        mlemon said:
        Hmmm... Sounds like it has potential military applications.
        Merging these two comments gives you something like George Carlin's famous line: "Military intelligence is an oxymoron." I can't argue against that.

Comment

Years ago, I was assigned as a ship's intelligence officer. The previous intelligence officer had been transferred before I arrived, and I was given the combination to a safe and told that all the intelligence this ship had was contained there. When I opened the safe, I found it was empty. It didn't take long to realize that they were right.

Comment

Many of my fellow sci-fi fans believe that when humankind develops A.I. robots, that they will have perfect intelligence. They forget the old I.T. axiom of GIGO. The human intelligence the A.I. is based upon is flawed. Instead of a mass of Einstein robots, we will end up with an army of Pauly Shore robots. Robots are good at doing things repeatedly non-stop. The chances are good that humans will develop many more robots repeating stupid stuff instead of intelligent stuff. Just what we don't need: robotic Simpsons (pick any... O.J., Ashlee, Jessica), Jerry Springers, politicians (pick any). Imagine an army of George Dubyas running around looking for nucular wippons. Thanks a lot Joel!! Now, I'm gonna have nightmares! Tom.

Comment

Tom said:
              Now, I'm gonna have nightmares!
              Welcome to my world.

Comment

Joel, notice that all the evils you mention spring forth from emotions, wants, and desires that artificial intelligence would not have: greed, hate, sex, religion, arrogance, power... and I would add politics but that would be redundant. We could have artificial evil, I guess, to mate with artificial intelligence, but the evil will be emotionless, uncaring, unknowing and yet all knowing. A computer program in a loop. See Colossus by Dennis Feltham Jones for a detailed description. rd

Comment

You are probably thinking about Lt. Cmdr. Data when you are thinking of "Androids" being good. (please dont offend him by saying robot). Androids that would be devoid of evils because they wont have greed, hate, sex, religion, arrongance etc. However you are forgetting his brother Lore. He was the "first born" i.e. created first and programmed for emotion because Dr. Soong wanted to create an android in his image ... full of emotions. Well he turned evil and Dr. Soong had to turn him off after paying a heavy price for his creation, and created a less human android. So rest assured, when humans will be able to create artificial intelligence, they would want to be create it in its image. The result would be lots of destruction and then only will they learn to create emotionless machines.

Comment

No, you missed the point entirely, Hassan. Colossus was not an android and was not good. Please reread with that in mind. thanks, rd

Comment

I was refering to your following comment: "all the evils you mention spring forth from emotions, wants, and desires that artificial intelligence would not have: greed, hate, sex, religion, arrogance, power... ". Mr. Data did not have emotions and was good whereas his brother Lore had emotions and was evil, an example of human failing. Colossus, as you mentioned, was not good despite being a machine. Wasn't a good example, in my view, of human failing. I was brought up in a country of dozen religions and hundred cults. What was common in them was mind control thru fear mongering, something I see on dozens of TV channel everyday. Being a grown up, loose robots, satan, efferites, monsters, etc etc do not scare me. It is the dark chambers in human brain that scare me. If you listen to the sermons of fire brand speakers on TV, you would know what I mean. These dark chambers probably scared Gene Roddenberry too. That is why he was afraid of an android in human image.

Comment

Hassan.Farooqi wrote: It is the dark chambers in human brain that scare me. Your comment is true and profound (IMO). Science fiction offers escapist entertainment from a potentially horrible world. The protagonists are flawed heros with which we can at least partially identify, or otherwise they would not be entertaining. The "Trek" programs offer us a universe where all of our existing geopolitical, environmental, and scientific problems have already been solved. These are replaced with new problems, but the new problems are years away, and miles away. We may take comfort knowing that the things we currently worry about have been removed, and that there is a future. I sometimes want to forget that it is a mere fiction populated by scriptwriters and actors. Dave

Comment

Colossus, as you mentioned, was not good despite being a machine. Wasn't a good example, in my view, of human failing. That's because it wasn't. It was an example of emotionless evil, which was the point of my post. rd

Comment

Working...
                          X