Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruffled Serenity

** This thread discusses the article: Ruffled Serenity **
    I'm a Canadian who earns the vast majority of his revenue from American customers.
    ... and I am a Canadian who earns ALL of his revenue from the Americans It neither stops me from using blackberry, nor it bother the Americans. As a matter of fact, the Americans think my Canadian patrioticism is quite "cute", with photos of rockies hanging on my desk, alongwith that of CN tower, Niagra Falls (Canadian view), mounted Mounties in red uniforms, Canadian Indian Chiefs on horseback with their spears and feathered caps. Yes they do tease me by saying, "Hey, you are in the US now, learn to love NFL instead of NHL, this side of Niagra, this side of rockies.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

How do you know he bought the book and I didn't? Do you have good relations with NSA and they tell you from their database who bought your book?
      I know that Tom bought a copy because he told me, both in this forum and previously. As I said in my post, I exaggerated about Tom being the only one who bought a copy. I know a few of the others who bought copies (including one company that bought a case of 80 to give out as thank you gifts to customers of one of its products -- I don't know if that company wants to be mentioned here, but they know who they are and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) There have been a few other sales, both through the MC Press Web store and other bookstores, for which I don't know the buyer. So, no, I don't know if you bought a copy. I apologize if I left the impression that I did. If you did buy one, thanks! That having been said, just because I can explain my comments without having to have good relations with the NSA, that doesn't mean that I'm not in tight with them, so you'd might want to consider watching your step in my presence.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

Hassan, I was wondering why the FBI keeps hanging around; the black helicopters and all. It's because I bought Joel's book, "Byteing Satire". It is funny but I'm not sure it's worth a prison sentence. I guess I'll have to turn over my precious copy to the Feds. An interesting aside... or not so interesting maybe... google byteing satire and you get two whole references to it. One from lawzilla.com and one whose link is broken. It doesn't even reference his own website. Not only that, google asks you if you really mean biting satire... ouch! Although, I have to say, it's two more references than any book I have written. {;-} Tom.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

I was wondering why the FBI keeps hanging around; the black helicopters and all. It's because I bought Joel's book, "Byteing Satire". It is funny but I'm not sure it's worth a prison sentence. I guess I'll have to turn over my precious copy to the Feds.
          Isn't that just like the government -- spend millions of dollars on black helicopters just to get a copy of my book when they can go to the amazon.com had it on sale for $10.17 the last time I checked.
          An interesting aside... or not so interesting maybe... google byteing satire and you get two whole references to it. One from lawzilla.com and one whose link is broken. It doesn't even reference his own website. Not only that, google asks you if you really mean biting satire... ouch!
          Actually, the book's title is "Byte-ing Satire" not "Byteing Satire". If you Google it with the hyphen you'll find a lot more references. In retrospect, because of the search issues, the hyphen was probably a bad choice. (Just to let you in on a little inside scoop, Byte-ing Satire was actually my second or third choice for the book title, but the publisher turned down my first choice -- however I was able to shift my first choice for the book title to a section title. I'll let you guess which section title I wanted to use as the book title. The publisher has a lot of experience publishing books. Before Byte-ing Satire, I had absolutely none (and unless the sales of this book pick up rather miraculously, I probably won't gain any more experience), so I didn't push as hard for my first choice as, in retrospect, I probably should have. And I can't really complain because Byte-ing Satire was on a list of title suggestions that I sent to the publisher, although I can't remember if I suggested the hyphen or if that was the publisher's suggestion.)

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

Oh! I always thought those helicopters were out there to keep an eye on me for my Arabic name. Now I know they are there for the other reasons. Thanks for the explaination. I shall now ask buy.com about their return policy.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

Joel, I'll byte... Secion 6: Stuff & Nonsense was your first choice. Section 3: Say What? would be good, too. Tom.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

I'll byte... Secion 6: Stuff & Nonsense was your first choice. Section 3: Say What? would be good, too.
                Wrong, both times. I'll give you four more guesses, but that's my limit.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

OK. Now, this is serious. Looking at the clown caricature on the cover, I would think a propeller on the head would look good. Section 5: Propeller Heads. Or, since you may be a child of the 60's, Section: 2: Peace, Love, & Groovy... Or Not. Or, since, you are a marketing consultant, Section 4: Customer Disservice would be close to your heart. but, then again, since you seem to be a nervous sort, Section 1: Gizmo Jitters would be right up your alley. Tom.

Comment

Ruffled Serenity

Tom,
                    but, then again, since you seem to be a nervous sort, Section 1: Gizmo Jitters would be right up your alley.
                    Congratulations! You got it on the sixth guess. (People who haven't bought the book and don't know how many sections there are in it, don't know what a fabulous feat of deduction that was.) P.S.:
                    Or, since you may be a child of the 60's, Section: 2: Peace, Love, & Groovy... Or Not.
                    It depends what you mean by "child". I was born in 1952 -- late 1952, I might add. December to be precise. I'm not eager to claim any more months in my age than necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X