Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut-Rate and Other Parasites

** This thread discusses the article: Cut-Rate and Other Parasites **
    Whether the disaster is vertical or horizontal should not lessen the impact to those left behind. It should be noted that each floor of each building of WTC comprised a full acre. You do the math. One cannot underestimate the force of mother nature. It is to be respected and fully prepared for. OTOH when human beings deliberately plan and execute the wholesale slaughter of innocents, then they are to be treated with contempt that they so richly deserve. One event is no more important than the other. Both need the proper planning to be prevented in the future. It is normal and natural that I feel closer to 9/11 having worked and travelled through the WTC on a daily basis. That doesn't mean feeling any less for those left homeless or worse on account of Katrina. A new danger is upon Florida, and possibly the Gulf. Let's see some solid positive action in advance this time. Dave

Comment

Cut-Rate and Other Parasites

** This thread discusses the article: Cut-Rate and Other Parasites **
      Susan, As I said in my previous posting, I didn't mean to belittle the suffering of the 9/11 tragedy in any way. It was a horrible, horrible tragedy. Nor do I want to try to quantify which was the worse disaster, 9/11 or Katrina. When you reach that level of catastrophe I don't think that it makes any sense to say this one was worse than that one. How can you possibly evaluate those sorts of things quantitatively? And, yes, you are absolutely right, NYC was fortunate to have the exceptionally strong leadership of Mayor Giuliani on that horrid day. He performed the way a true leader should perform. In my mind, there is no questioning that. The situation would have been much worse with a weaker leader than him. No doubt about it. All I'm saying is that the nature of the two catastrophes was very different. Would Giuliani still have appeared to be quite as strong a leader as he did if 80% of his infrastructure had been put out of commission that day? No, he probably wouldn't have. He's a great leader. He'd no doubt have performed as well as the situation would have allowed, but the situation would not have allowed him to appear as strong as he did. He still had fair bit of his resources left to back him up. True, he led them exceptionally well. But he still had considerable infrastructure and people that he could put into play. That wasn't true down in New Orleans and much of the Katrina affected area. Would he have been able to evacuate an entire city (as people are blaming Mayor Nagin for not doing) given two days warning of an impending disaster about to affect the whole area, including evacuating those people who did not have the means to get out on their own and those people who were convinced that, despite all of the warnings, they could ride it out on their own? I don't know. I doubt it. But I don't know. Would he have done a better job than the Mayor Nagin, the mayor of New Orleans, did when Katrina struck? Mayor Giuliani did an incredible job on 9/11 and the days following and, based on that, I suspect he would have done better, but there is no way to be sure because he was not tested in quite the same way. Giuliani did an almost super-human job in New York. No question about it. All I'm saying is that the nature of the two events were so different that I don't think that it is fair to compare the two. Joel

Comment

Working...
      X