• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything You Want

** This thread discusses the article: Anything You Want **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Anything You Want **

Anything You Want

Your mention of Alice's Restaurant, and the recent revelation of "Deep Throat" reminded me of Rosemary Wood's famous 18 1/2 minute tape deletion, and the fact that Alice's Restaurant is exactly 18 1/2 minutes long. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Dave

Comment

Anything You Want

David said:
      Your mention of Alice's Restaurant, and the recent revelation of "Deep Throat" reminded me of Rosemary Wood's famous 18 1/2 minute tape deletion, and the fact that Alice's Restaurant is exactly 18 1/2 minutes long.
      Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
      Of course, I wrote this piece before the revelation of Deep Throat's identity and I couldn't have anticipated that. But I'd like to welcome the president of the conspiracy theory club

Comment

Anything You Want

"There is a sucker born every second" I guess you already know what "nested loops" and "nested ifs" etc are. Well let me tell you about "nested suckers". A couple of decades ago my younger brother landed in Canada and saw an advertisement "Work from home, make $nnn per hours stuffing envelopes". There was a registration fee of $20. My brother send a cheque and what he received was an instruction set on how to make copy of the advertisement, stuff in envelopes, and wait for another sucker to fall for you. While my brother was stupid, he was not selfish so he got over his loss of $20. I am sure other might have tried this trick as I see these advertisements still now. When my cousin landed in Canada, he was smarter and did not fall for these scams. He however fell to Amway. While he failed to hire new people (next level of suckers), he was able to use the products of his starter kit at home. When I landed, I was the smartest. I fell for nothing. Then Primerica got me. I thought I would be selling insurance policies but no, I was suppose to take my boss to my friends and relatives, make suckers out of them for him, and get nothing. Well I was able to fight for an insurance course that is supposedly worth $600. It was worth the $200 registration fee that I paid to Primerica. So I would rather wanna see Primerica as a sucker than me (to satisfy my ego). Yes there are suckers on ebay. I know a crook when I was in Clearwater, FL, who bought used DVDs from blockbuster, repacked them, and sold them as new. What more, the users gave him a five star rating! His prices were lowest and his service was prompt! Only a few noticed they were used and complained. He still maintained an average of four star rating.

Comment

Anything You Want

I usually see numerous bogus copies of software on EBAY. So, it really doesn't even have to be legal...apparently! Don't you hate it when your little 'quip' intros get more attention than the body of wealth in your article?

Comment

Anything You Want

little 'quip' intros I think that's called deceptive packaging, or bait and switch, or good journalism, or certain sources close to the investiagation, or hi sucker.

Comment

Anything You Want

tcox01 said:
              Don't you hate it when your little 'quip' intros get more attention than the body of wealth in your article?
              I have a bit ("a bit" as in "the universe is a bit large") of a self-esteem problem, so I'm thoroughly amazed when anything I say gets any attention. I write the "quip" intros, so I'll count it as attention.

Comment

Anything You Want

tcox1 said:
                I usually see numerous bogus copies of software on EBAY. So, it really doesn't even have to be legal...apparently!
                I just reread my article and I didn't say that everything on eBay is legal. What I said was:
                But if it's legal, or the seller claims that it's legal, and you can't get it at Alice's Restaurant, you can probably get it on eBay.
                Note the "or the seller claims that it's legal". I put that phrase in because, while eBay requires that sellers only sell legal stuff, I was suspicious of some of the seller's claims.

Comment

Anything You Want

ctibodoe said:
                  little 'quip' intros
                  I think that's called deceptive packaging, or bait and switch, or good journalism, or certain sources close to the investiagation, or hi sucker.
                  Since my columns in this "tirade" space are supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, I try to lace the entire article with "little quips" so I don't see a quip in the opening paragraph as "deceptive packaging," "bait and switch" or "hi sucker" - quite the contrary, it lets you know what the rest of the article is going to be like. I don't get how it can be considered as "certain sources close to the investigation" since I don't do, or pretend to do investigative journalism in these tirade columns, so I won't comment on that. As to the "good journalism" accusation. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X