Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stampeding into Obsolescence

** This thread discusses the article: Stampeding into Obsolescence **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Stampeding into Obsolescence **

Stampeding into Obsolescence

I dont know if anyone remembers the Star Trek (TOS) episode "The Apple", where Kirk disrupts a perfect world by his ideology and Spock defines it as "throwing an apple in heaven". Well imagine throwing 50 apples in a crowd for $50 each. LOL. If you owned an Apple, you would know the sentimental attachment Apple owners have to them (I dont own an apple but I see the reactions everyday). Making an apple old does not lessens its value. I would gladly pay $50 for the first Apple I worked on in 1980 (provided it works).

Comment

Joel, I'm from Richmond and I can see you're missing the point here. It's something that's hard enough for most Yankees and Damn Yankees (like me) to grasp. (Everybody out there understand the difference?). So it's no surprize that You, being a (shudder) Way North of the Mason Dixon Line Canadian, just don't understand. So let me explain. Virginia is a NASCAR state. And where was this computer sale held ?? Richmond International Raceway, Right ?? You see, down here, most bumper stickers don't say things like "Save the Whales" or "W in '04". This is the genteel South, and things like that would be much too vulgar. Instead, most vehicles down here display a window sticker with a picture of a mischevious looking little boy, doing his bathroom business on the tire of a Race Car. For some reason it's usually Jeff Gordon's race car (Number 24) and that's probably due to the fact that he was born in some foreign country..... Like Ohio or Illinois. Our Vanity License Plates say things like MISSN3, 3INHEVN, LUVN8 and NTMD8R (If anyone doesn't get these, I'll be happy to translate for a small fee). As a matter of fact, these 4 license plates alone account for 85% of all vanity plate sales in the state !! It wreaks havoc in traffic court. I was at the courthouse once for.... uhhh.... Hmmmm, I was observing, Yeah that's it... and anyway, 27 people showed up for the same speeding summons. So my point is, this really can't be considered a stampede. I prefer to think of it as a first lap pile-up while jockeying for position going into Turn Number One. And I don't even think that most of these people really cared about the computers. Just like Fishing and Golf are really just ways to legitamize Drinking Beer.... Computer Sales at RIR are just an excuse for the Good Ole Boys to run flat out. Mike

Comment

Mike, That was hilarious. Thanks. Wait. Maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. Are you trying to take over my column? Point taken. The "stampede" wasn't a stampede at all, but just a normal social function. Hmmm. I wonder if any sociologists have looked into that phenomenon. They do have sociologists south of the Mason Dixon line don't they? Or is that just a northern affectation? You said:
        Just like Fishing and Golf are really just ways to legitimize Drinking Beer...
        Being a Canadian, legitimizing the drinking of beer is something that I can understand. Hmmm. It's a day ending in "y". I think I'll call up a friend and ask him if he wants to go out for a beer to celebrate. Joel

Comment

Working...
        X