• Show
Clear All

The New RPG Developer

** This thread discusses the article: The New RPG Developer **
    Great news, Jim, especially about the demand for the graduates! rd

Comment

The New RPG Developer

Not to spoil a very good discussion about the merits of PHP vs. Java, but I want to remind everybody that the newsletter is called "RPG Developer". So it's an interesting to ask the following question regarding the newsletter: a. Should the newsletter be about RPG? or b. Should the newsletter be about RPG Developers and their needs? It's one thing to speak to RPG Developers and their prejudices and preferences in terms of language structure and functionality. But it's quite another thing to actually talk about RPG -- the language -- and how it can be efficiently used. And there's a temptation -- when lining up content -- to run for a while creating articles that speak to the audience and its particular needs. But when push comes to shove, sooner or later, the newsletter will start to lose focus, and ultimately readers, while failing to attract new readers. The debate about PHP in the RPG Developer is a good example: Is PHP really essential to this newsletter's topics? RPG coders find a natural and understandable attraction to PHP because its structure and format are easy to comprehend. It's "obtainable." But -- despite the call for PHP content in this newsletter -- is that what RPG Developer be about? Or should you (dear readers) be looking to one of the other of MC Press's newletters (Like iApplication Developer.) Or would you be interested in a iPHP newsletter, which is targeted to System i Developers who want to learn more and more about PHP? Just asking. I'd appreciate any insight into your thoughts. Thomas M. Stockwell Editor in Chief MC Press Online

Comment

The New RPG Developer

Thomas, I think the RPG Developer news letter should be about RPG programming - topics/code we can read and use right away. It does not have to be purely technical, but can contain programming techniques. For example, I just coded an RPG batch program that if it crashes during updates, the next time it runs it detects this and fixes the data and continues on. (not using commitment control). Downstream processes will ignore the data until fixed. I think a separate PHP newsletter would be awesome. Chris

Comment

The New RPG Developer

My answer to your question. If I start to read an article in a slot that says RPG Developer, then my expectation is to read about the forward progress of RPG in words and examples. I could care less about the doubters and the naysayers. I make my living off of good clean RPG in use in a progressive environment. I want to increase my net worth with usefull information that I can either use today to solve my immediate needs or use to affect the direction of my education or the direction of the environment I work in. I want to learn how to work RPG with PHP, RPG with Java, RPG with Cobol, RPG with etc... If I want to compare RPG with PHP or Java or etc...how about a column titled: RPG vs etc...? This could be something fun as a diversion, but what I have come to your place for consistently over the years is to further my career with knowledge gained in RPG. Thanks, Craig

Comment

Working...
          X