Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategic Argot Discourse (SAD, Very Sad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Argot Discourse (SAD, Very Sad)

** This thread discusses the article: Strategic Argot Discourse (SAD, Very Sad) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Strategic Argot Discourse (SAD, Very Sad) **0

** This thread discusses the article: Strategic Argot Discourse (SAD, Very Sad) **
    Do you have any idea how many problems would be created if everyone said what they meant? This would imply that exaggeration and spin would cease to exist. You might actually hear people saying "I don't know'. This would destroy a lot of confidences people have in the world around them. In a world where all told the truth and stressed simplicity and understanding, a liar or BS artist would be king.

Comment

Do you have any idea how many problems would be created if everyone said what they meant?
      Everyone saying what they mean? We could never had that. Oh, no, no, no. What would politicians do? They're too afraid to say what they mean. They'd much rather spend their time saying what they think we want them to say; or saying what we don't want them to say, but saying it in a way such that we won't recognize that that's what they're saying.

Comment

"I dont mean what I say, I mean what I mean" - Humpty Dumpty

Comment

You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Comment

Saying what you mean generally gets equated to flaming in an online forum. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joel Klebanoff" wrote in message news:6b256396.1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > > > Do you have any idea how many problems would be created if everyone > said > what they meant? > > > > > Everyone saying what they mean? We could never had that. Oh, no, no, no. > What would politicians do? They're too afraid to say what they mean. > They'd much rather spend their time saying what they think we want them to > say; or saying what we don't want them to say, but saying it in a way such > that we won't recognize that that's what they're saying.

Comment

Joel, Well done, Joel. Another pet peeve (and a potential idea for an article?) is meaningless acronyms (MA's). I understand the occasional need to use acronyms - but what about when no one remembers what the acronym actually stands for (WTAASF)? I still recall in the first year of my first job after college (FJAC) asking everyone I would meet among my more experienced colleagues (MEC's) what CICS and TSO stood for. Only one seasoned programmer (SP) in the IBM shop could tell me that it was Customer Information Control System and Time Sharing Option (no, it's not the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, in this context anyway). John

Comment

I always have a well-crafted set of TLA's (Three-Letter Acronyms) at the ready.

Comment

John said:
                  Well done, Joel.
                  Thanks John. I appreciate the kind words. John said:
                  I understand the occasional need to use acronyms - but what about when no one remembers what the acronym actually stands for (WTAASF)?
                  GP (good point) John said:
                  (and a potential idea for an article?)
                  TA (thanks again) ICAUGAI (I can always use good article ideas)

Comment

Working...
                  X