• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Gift-Giving Begin

** This thread discusses the article: Let the Gift-Giving Begin **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Let the Gift-Giving Begin **

Let the Gift-Giving Begin

Muslims will be celebrating Eid-Al-Adha on 10th January followed by Chinese New Year on 29th, and the Indian festivals of Basant and Baisakhi. As a resident of Toronto you should have noticed atleast the Sikh Baisakhi festival march. Probably you never went to Brampton/Mississauga area in those days. Alas kite flying is not that legal in Toronto otherwise you would see the sky full of kites on the Basant festivals. Dancing paper dragons would be a pretty common sight in Markham areas. Be ready, festivals are going to hit Toronto pretty soon. Then ofcourse my favourite, the Caribana will hit downtown lakeshore.

Comment

I had been wondering what in the world I was going to do. These are much better ideas than the ones I came up with. (Funnier too!!!) Happy Shopping and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Wow! Kite flying is illegal in Toronto? How did that happen? What perverse politico dreamt that one up? Although, we have a man in Wisconsin who said that kites pose a threat to birds. Therefore, he said that anyone flying a kite is a heartless animal hater. He was from a group called Earth First, an eco-fascist/terrorist group. I particularly like flying kites in winter. They seem to fly better for some reason. Tom. Heartless hater of animals because he likes to fly kites.

Comment

Kite flying is illegal in Toronto? I've lived here all my life and never heard of such a thing. I haven't tried flying a kite since I was a kid, so maybe that's why I'm not in jail now. Are you sure about kite flying being illegal? Maybe it's just a Brampton/Mississauga thing. I rarely get north of St. Clair or west of Spadina. (For those of you not familiar with Toronto, let's just say I don't get to the suburbs much and I use a pretty broad definition of the suburbs.)

Comment

If you hurry, it might not be too late to return the gifts you bought and buy some of the ones I suggested. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Back at you on the happy and merry thing: Happy holidays & all the best in the new year!

Comment

If flying kites is illegal in Toronto, then these guys are in a lot of trouble. Heck, I've flown kites within the city limits too! Cheers! Hans

Comment

Hans, ofcourse you are the last word in kite flying in Toronto as I know you of flying kites with your kids. However in South Asia kite flying is a different ball game. Trust me, South Asian style kite flying CAN NOT be legal in any Toronto. In South Asian style, kite flying is more like KITE WARS. Kites are flown with "Manjha" or glass coated thread. The shape of kite is aerodynamic. The idea is to cut the cord of the other guys kite. Sometimes, in frustration, they smash their kite into the other one with their pointed top which is considered unfair. Once kite is cut off and is adrift, the next fun is of alley kids who fight to steal it. Some kids play foul by using "Landore" which is a set of stones tied with "Majha" and thrown over the cord of other kites to cut them. Every years there are fatalities due to the Manjha cutting some scooter riders throat, people falling from the roof (yes the kites are flown from roofs), kids getting hit by car as they run to steal the kite, people being electrocuted as the landore would cut the old worn out electric wires etc etc. Every year the city polices sends out warning that kite flying is illegal but who cares? Tis basant and the time to fly kites. So trust me, South Asian style kite flying can not be legal in Toronto, or any other major city.

Comment

Every years there are fatalities due to the Manjha cutting some scooter riders throat, people falling from the roof (yes the kites are flown from roofs), kids getting hit by car as they run to steal the kite, people being electrocuted as the landore would cut the old worn out electric wires etc etc.
                  Jeez! I've got to start learning more about other cultures. I'd never heard of such a thing. That sounds like something I might want to watch my step--and head--around. Just in case that sort of kite-flying is not banned in Toronto, could you let me know when the Basant festivals are? I think I'm going to plan on taking a wilderness walk those days. That sounds less like kite-flying than weapons of mass volitation. (No I'm not that knowledgeable, I had to find "volitation" in a thesaurus. It means the act of flying.)

Comment

We do that here. We don't use glass-coated thread but there is a competition where everyone tries to attack everyone else's kite. Some fliers are really good at it. I'm just an amateur compared to some of them. My kite usually comes crashing down or into a tree or something within a half-hour. What happens is that cords get tangled and a number of kits come down together. There is a lot of tension on the kites and when there is a good wind, I can believe that even the uncoated cord could cut someone. I'm not aware of this happening here, though. Tom.

Comment

Joe, you live in a city best for learning cultures from all over the world. Canada is the only country in the world that recognizes multiculturalism. You are expected to keep your cultural heritage and contribute to Canadian society. In the US it is supposed to be a melting point where you are supposed to be nobody but an American. An Italian American colleague of mind was very offended when I referred to him as an Italian. He proudly pointed out that he was an American by birth and dont even speak Italian. When he visited Toronto, I made him meet third generation Italians who called themselves Italians and spoke Italian. The American Italian was very confused as to why a person who was not only born in Canada but his father was also born here, called himself Italian. So, discover the cultures of Greece in Downtown Toronto, Chinese in Markham, Tamil in Scarborough, Jewish in North York, Pakistani in Mississauga, Portugese and Punjabi in Brampton, Italian in Hamilton and Guelph, German in Kitchener (formerly New Bonn). Ofcourse India is allover but you got to pay a visit to Gerard Street to taste Indian food, and buy Indian Jewelery and Clothings. Not far from Little India is Little China, Little Vietnam, little everything.

Comment

Well if the cords are not glass coated, how can you cut the other cords? See, all the girls dress up and put make up as they sit on the roofs while the boys tries to imprss them not showing any sign of pain as the cord cuts their hand and bleed. Some girls would also fly kites and when the boys cut them and they weep, it is a good time to develope a romantic relationship by approaching them showing their remorse and seeking apology. LOL. Crazy old days.

Comment

We don't cut the cords but try to get the other kites to crash. What we won't do for love!!! :}

Comment

Hassan: I don't mean to nitpick, but the city of Kitchener was formerly known as Berlin. They changed it in 1914, after Canada's entry into WWI. I noticed the difference in attitude towards multiculturalism during a visit to Frankenmuth about 8 or 9 years ago. For those who don't know, Frankenmuth, Michigan, prides itself on its German heritage, and I was looking forward to that. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed. The town's forefathers may have come from Bavaria, but apart from a few buildings decorated in a Bavarian style, and a few token items on the menu at one restaurant, the German culture was pretty thin. It is for all intents and purposes a thoroughly American town. Toronto isn't especially known for any substantial German culture, but I can at least eat at any of four very good, authentic German or Austrian restaurants within 30 minutes of my home. Cheers! Hans

Comment

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakv...ry/230162.html

Comment

Working...
                              X