• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Rules (Unfortunately)

** This thread discusses the article: Junk Rules (Unfortunately) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Junk Rules (Unfortunately) **

Junk Rules (Unfortunately)

OK, let's figure out this "hunky-dory" problem: 1). Hunk is slang for an attractive male. I'm bypassing the traditional definition for "hunk" because of course the actual word we need to define is "hunky". This has a slang-y feel to it. 2). Dory is the word for a small open fishing boat in the Maritime region of Eastern North America. It's a traditional, hand made wooden boat. 3). Now all we have to do is combine these definitions. So apparently a "hunky-dory" is an attractive, male, er, fishing boat. No, really. Another triumph of logic!

Comment

Only slightly anal-retentive correction. a dory is a work boat used to clean your fishing boat from and when necessary, commuting to and from the dock to an outter anchorage. therefore, hunky-dory would (following your impecable logic); an attractive male work boat.

Comment

Has anyone ever really had their dory hunked? It sounds painful. Dave

Comment

Joe, I have my number on Do-not-call list yet I get an average of two calls from telemarketeers. A female friend of mine (dont wanna call her girlfriend), had taught me a martial art I still use effectively. It is the answering machine. If the phone rings, just let it go to the answering machine. Telemarketeer will immediately hang up and the guy with some importance will try to record a message and it is the time I pick the phone. Old guys who know me just shout, "Yo, pick up the phone, its me".

Comment

The State of New York implemented a no-call list which has been surprisingly effective. Except for charitable organizations, my incoming junk calls have been reduced to near zero. There are interesting alternative ways to deal with it. Polite: Ask them to wait while you take care of something. Pick up the phone again after two and half minutes or longer. Ooops, I forgot something please hold - another two minutes. Are you still there? I can't talk now, I'll call you back, and hang up before a response. Impolite: Immediately yell out a diatribe of invective that would make a sailor blush before hanging up. Disabled: Keep asking the caller to speak up because you can't hear them, then after three times tell them to stop shouting. Apathetic: No matter what the question, respond with the line "I don't care!" Concerned: Ask them if their mother knows what they do for a living. Vendictive: Pretending to be interested, get their name and number, and any other info, and then make sure they know you will report them as a violation of the no-call laws. Dave

Comment

Hassan, it's a computer dialing and hanging up when the answering machine responds. I am sorry to say that I wrote the first PC database controlled dialer for Melita Electronics back in 1985 and we had ROM code with each CPU controlled dialer that determined such things, at least back in the Wild West days of the early microprocessors. Determining it was an answering maching was done by measuring the length of voice response. Over a certain limit, we considered it to be an answering machine recorded message and hung up recording that status or left a message based on the configuration. Melita's dialers had already become a nuisance and Georgia where Melita was headquartered passed a law that made random dialing illegal without a live person being the initial contact when the phone was answered. The opposite of random dialing was a database of contacts such as customers, employees, students, etc. and as I was doing my own version of cold calling in Atlanta at the time trying to find PC assembler code programming work I happened to call at the right time. Our customers included school absentee systems (such as Boston, Chicago, Sacramento, and Toledo), emergency notification for nuclear plants (the ill fated Shoreham on Long Island and Vogle near Augusta), and cable installation (Cablevision). I thought it was a good thing. I should have known I would be hounded by telemarketing calls the rest of my life as retribution, finally being delivered from telemarketing hell when the US no call list was established. I've had no cold calls since then. The only way I could explain you getting calls is as a customer, which is allowed, because it has pretty much shut down the cold callers cold. I did see a recent prosecution with stiff fines, so there are still people ignoring it but it's being enforced and has done the job as far as I can tell. rd

Comment

I sure hope that this analysis of "hunky-dory" is at an end, because it sounds like it's starting to go in a direction that MC Press won't let me go in my columns.

Comment

Telemarketeer will immediately hang up and the guy with some importance will try to record a message and it is the time I pick the phone. Old guys who know me just shout, "Yo, pick up the phone, its me".
                  I guess that's one of the advantages of the plain old answering machines. I've got voice mail. If anyone yells "Yo, pick up the phone, its me." They'll be talking to a Bell Canada computer ... and you know how much confidence I have in computers.

Comment

When I was on the U.S.S. Midway in the Navy, we used the term dory to mean any boat that was used for transportation to the shore when we were anchored in a harbor away from a pier. But, an old-timer on the ship told me dory was slang for a transvestite hooker such as can be found on Boogy (sp) Street in 1970's Singapore. He warned me about getting "doried" after 3am on the street. I don't know if he knew from personal experience and I didn't ask. And, I can't vouch personally for it either. I was back on the ship by 3am. I looked up the definition at dictionary.com and found this: From Dictionary.com: do·ry1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dôr, dr) n. pl. do·ries A small, narrow, flatbottom fishing boat with high sides and a sharp prow. [Origin unknown.] -------------------------- do·ry2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dôr, dr) n. pl. do·ries John Dory. See walleye. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [Middle English dorre, from Old French doree, from feminine past participle of dorer, to gild, from Late Latin deaurre : Latin d-, de- + Latin aurum, gold.] dory n 1: a small boat of shallow draft with cross thwarts for seats and rowlocks for oars with which it is propelled [syn: dinghy, rowboat] 2: marine fishes widely distributed in mid-waters and deep slope waters Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University ---------------------------------------------------------------------- dory dory: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB -------------------------------------------------------------- So, apparently, hunky-dory can also mean a good looking male fish. Cheers. Tom

Comment

Well the no-call list is quite effective here in Georgia as well. However there are a couple of catches to it. First, there is a 90 day waiting period which seems too long for me. Especially since I change cities, and therefore phone numbers, every now and then. Well now that I have switched to VOIP, I will hopefully not change my number and just carry the modem whereever I go. Second if you have a bank account or a credit card or have bought anything online, you will receive calls which these guys claim to be perfectly legit. Then there are poor suckers who bought a very old phone list from privacy invaders like AOL and wont know if you have your phone number on no-call list.

Comment

My cousin who is a doctor in Tennessee not far from Atlanta uses two phone lines. The first to call and the second to receive. The problem is, his 3,000+ patients want to call him in the middle of the night and would simply refuse to call to the hospital where there would be a doctor on duty. So he does not give anyone his home phone number. But then, he need to call the pharmacies etc and their caller ID would burst his number. Now if he blocks his caller ID, they wont pick up the phone (thinking it might be a bill collector or telemarketeer). So he has his caller ID block off his phone number but wont receive any call from it. No answering machine with ringer off! The second phone he lets go on the answering machine if the caller ID is blocked! (a taste of their own medicine!) Unfortunately his patients includes the Mayors, the Sherrifs, the Judges, and the whole establishments of three states (GA, TN, NC). He can't mess with the Lawmakers nor the Law Enforcers. My other cousin in California uses another technique I am unaware of. The phone asks me for the name and announces it. If he is not around or decides to not pick, it goes on answering machine.

Comment

I have that capability on my phone. It's the same as caller i.d. except that it allows me to record using my voice the name of the person attached to a number. When someone calls, it either says it is an undientified caller or the name that I spoke into it. That way I don't even have to get up to look at the the caller i.d. Regards, Tom.

Comment

Working...
                          X