Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Non-Tirade Tirade

** This thread discusses the article: A Non-Tirade Tirade **
    John, As I suggested in the article, working with Victoria was probably the best part of the gig. Re Victoria, to anyone out there reading this: If you have something that fits withing MC Press' editorial mandate that you think needs to be said and you consider yourself to be a decent writer, I'd highly recommend contacting Victoria about writing an IMHO column. I can pretty much guarantee that you will enjoy working with her and that your writing will improve as a result of the application of her editing skills. I have and mine did. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Mary Ann, Thanks and best wishes back at you. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

I have a great deal of email coming in, and it is only the MC Press with a Tech Tip that would guarantee an immediate opening. Not for the tip, but for your column. I have enjoyed them all. Your last column may inspire a change in my life. As I am a confirmed procrastinator, I seldom do many of the things I think about doing. Writing this note of appreciation could have been put off until too late, but because of you and your columns, I could not put it off. Thanks for it all Joel.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Aw shucks, now you're just swelling my head. Thanks for that! Victoria has found some great authors to contribute to the space that I monopolized for more than two years and then shared with some terrific writers for the past six or seven months, so please keep reading MC TNT and the other MC Press publications. (And I understand that Victoria is also looking for more authors, so if you consider yourself to be a good writer and have something to say that fits with MC Press' editorial content, please don't procrastinate over contacting her.) Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel, I've really enjoyed your columns. Has it been only three years? It seems much longer than that (insert hated smiley emoticon here). That may not sound right but my sentiment is true. You mean you have better things to do than entertain us? I'm heartbroken! Don't sell yourself short, Joel. You state that you are not writing a tech column. But, you mentioned facsimile at the end. Is that not a technology (insert yet another hated emoticon; probably winking)? You ARE intellectually stimulating. It takes more intelligence to be funny than to write program code. The most intelligent of the famous comedians were always the ones you would least expect. Bud Abbott, Jerry Lewis, Stan Laurel. The ones that played the goofy, bumbling roles were/are comedic geniuses. Will history add Klebanoff to that list? In a word... no. But, that's OK. You played that role here and brought more than one chuckle to an otherwise serious (sometimes too serious) forum. See you around the boards. Tom. PS: How about another book of your later columns? Of course, I'd have to wait for it to go in the bargain bin before I bought it, so, you better get going on it.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Hi Tom, The sound you hear (or is it only in my head) is me shuffling my feet and saying "aw, shucks." Thanks! Re having something more important to do than entertaining you: No. No I don't. Not at all. Although, that is a result of a combination of how very important I think it is to entertain you and the fact that I have no life. It's just that after well over 100 columns (probably more like 120, I lost count) I've run out of ideas. Re not selling myself short: Self-deprecation is my best feature. I've always been told to stick with what you do best, so I'll stick with putting myself down. Of course, it is in my nature to believe that it is not the least bit appropriate to refer to that as "selling myself short," but rather as "being realistic and honest." Re a book of my later columns: The first printing of my book is nowhere near sold out, there are still quite a few copies in the warehouses of MC Press and its distributor, and some bookstores still have a few copies. I am very grateful to MC Press for taking the bold step of publishing it at all, but based on the, to put it mildly, lack of roaring success of BYTE-ing Satire, I don't think that I'll be able to convince MC Press or any other publisher to publish a second volume. Then again, if you'd be willing to give MC Press a firm order for 2,000 copies in advance, the powers-that-be may change their minds about that. (insert asinine emoticon here) Thanks again for your flattering comments. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

I don't understand. Who were the sickos who wrote against you to the editors when they could have posted it right here in the feedback! I thought the Golden Customer Rule was, "If you don't like us, tell us. If you like us, tell everyone else." For this reason, I barely wrote a letter of appreciation to you considering it an insult to your intelligence. I did buy your book and let many "sample" it. I did however write when I disagreed with you. Now that my daughter is half-way thru your book, I am supposed to tell her that you wont be writing anymore

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Hi Hassan, I never minded when you wrote to disagree with me. I'm my harshest critic, so nothing you said could have come close to equaling the things I say about myself. As I mentioned in the article, the people who wrote to the editor to complain stopped doing so after the first year or so of my columns. I guess someone finally explained to them that there isn't actually any law that requires them to read my articles if they don't like them. (Although, why there isn't such a law is a complete mystery to me. It's yet another example of our politicians' negligence.) Thank you very much for buying my book! (Thanks also to any other purchasers who might be reading this. I "joke" about my book's low sales volume, but the number is definitely above one. It's just that the number doesn't consume many digits.) Please apologize to your daughter. I hope she enjoys the book. My calling it quits is certainly not personal Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel, As a lucky reader who sent you a topic for a tirade (Online Map inaccuracies) and you used it, I have a special place in my heart for your articles. I loved most of the topics, online gamers getting paid real $ for playing MMORPG's, was a favorite since I played Final Fantasy XI online for over a year (what a time-sucker that was, good lord). I have to say that although I'll miss your columns, I can completely understand how writing a weekly/bi-weekly could burn someone out. Take care in your future endeavors. If I come across a good topic and some guts, I may even give the column writing thing a try... Victoria sounds like a true joy to work with! Au Revoir!

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Stormy, In case I didn't thank you enough at the time, thanks again for the map inaccuracies suggestion. I was the lucky one for receiving the suggestion from you, not you for my having used it. I was already running out of ideas then. You came through for me big time and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for taking the time to jot down your kind and gracious words here. I encourage you to consider writing a column. Victoria IS a true joy to work with -- just don't cross her. (Sorry, I had to add that last bit. Victoria lurks here and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to kid her. You WILL enjoy working with her if you get the chance.) All the best. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

I guess there's plenty of people -me being one of them- who never sent any comments, but enjoyed your columns nevertheless. Thank you, and good luck with whatever you plan to do.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Wow! This is getting out of hand. My head is swelling. Thanks! And all the best of luck back to you.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel, I have always appreciated your articles and will miss your unique sense of humor. I am also going to miss Hassan's constantly calling you Joe, and your futile attempts at correcting him! I noticed he didn't refer to your name in his comments above! Maybe you finally got through to him..... ;^0 ...or has he just been messing with you all along.....??

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Yes, my name is Joel. Joe Pluta is the only Joe I know of who writes for MC Press and I can't believe that he would be particularly pleased about anyone confusing the two of us. (You can easily tell us apart. Joe is the one who actually knows something about technology. I just fake it.) Because his home is in Canada, Hassan might have me confused with the character in what is almost certainly the most famous television commercial in Canadian history. (Being Canadian, of course the commercial is for beer--a brand named Molson Canadian.) At the end of the commercial, which is generally known as "The Rant," the character shouts, "My name is Joe and I AM CANADIAN!" Well, I'm Canadian, but my name is Joel, not Joe, Joel. (I don't have any affiliation with Molson, but if you're interested in seeing the commercial there are a number of copies on YouTube. There's one at http://youtube.com/watch?v=pXtVrDPhHBg . Even if you're not interested, it's still there. Funny how that works.) Thanks for your generous comments. I'm glad you liked my writing. Feel free to pass my name along to Letterman the next time you see him. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Ok, Joe! rd

Comment

Working...
                                X