X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Non-Tirade Tirade

Ralph, Not you too! Or was that an OK to the Joe in the commercial? Joel

A Non-Tirade Tirade

No, it was ok to Joe!, the non-tirade tirade Joel. Looks like I didn't slip that one past the eagle eyed editor Joel. rd

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Well my daughter pointed out that the cover shows a guy with a clown cap. There is a difference between a satirist, a comedian, a comic, and a clown (sorted by order of respect). A stirist (highest in order) shown as clown (lowest in order) is in a very bad taste. So if you are planning to reprint the book, or having a second edition, please let cover designer known betwen this difference.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Hi Hassan, Thanks for the advice. Points taken, but:[*]I don't think anyone at MC Press expected anyone to read so much into the cover. I know I didn't. The cover was just meant to be fun and attention-getting. Besides, I want to appeal to the widest possible audience and the world is filled with clowns, myself included. Of course, they don't all realize they're clowns [*]I LOVE the cover. When the person at MC Press who was the interface between the cover designer and myself sent me the image they found (the clown that appears on the cover) my response to him was: It's perfect. So, while cover design is MC Press' decision, not mine, if it was to reprint the book or run a second edition then, if necessary, I'd beg the people there to keep the same cover.[*]Unless, you'd like to convince several hundred or so of your nearest and dearest friends to buy copies, I doubt there will be a second printing or edition, so the issue is irrelevant.

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

No I did not confuse Joel with Joe Pluta, nor has it anything to do with the Molson commercial. I, like many here, had developed an affinity with him during the past two years and felt like nick-naming him. It is not just his unique sense of humor, or his ability with words, or frequent mention of mama Canada, but rather his high degree of humility that touches me (watch his tirade start with "I am a fraud"). Humility is a virtue for which I have a very high respect. It is for this reason that I was disturbed when I thought someone wrote against him to the editors cuasing this shutdown. Hey! If you don't like him, tell him, he has the heart to take it!

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

** This thread discusses the article: A Non-Tirade Tirade **
            ** This thread discusses the Content article: A Non-Tirade Tirade **

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel, Good luck in whatever you choose to do. I know I, for one, will miss your column. Jeff

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Hi Jeff, Thanks! As I mentioned in the column, there are a number of things I'll miss, particularly hearing sentiments like yours. Thanks again! Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

I have 3 spam filters. Two do light filtering and delete any spam they find. The third does heavier filtering, but puts the flagged spam into a spam folder. I just found a note in there thanking me for my columns. I don't know if the other two spam filters deleted any similar notes. So, if you sent me an email and I didn't respond, please accept my apologies. I do appreciate the sentiment even if I didn't actually see it. Then again, if you sent me an email to tell me that you're glad to see the end of my columns ... never mind

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Thanks for the laughs. I especially appreciate your fluency in the languages of sarcasm and irony. -- DaveSlash

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Dave, I hope you don't mind if I get informal and call you Dave rather than "DaveSlash". You're entirely welcome. Thanks back to you for your generous words. All the best. Joel

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel! Sorry to see you go! Ahhh Impermanence. Also have enjoyed my trips up to Toronto and IBM-Toronto as well. Try the French Eastern Canadian restaurant downtown: Le Papillon. Try "la Tourtourelle Quebecoise" no it's not just meatloaf but a subtle meatpie beyond this world, beyond the black flies! Thank you especially for pointing out the limitations of technology. As the world's oil decline in output gains momentum, we will definitely have to work smart. Maybe fewer toys, more smarts. Or maybe tools that actually work! Thank you Joe, I'm trained. john.decoville@co.pinal.az.us

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Joel, Thank you also for your mention of Victoria Mack who wonder of wonders allowed me to post a rant. We desperately need investigative journalism in the IBM world and Victoria has been telling IBM and getting others to tell IBM things they don't want to hear. --John

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Truly enjoyed your articles, Joel! Best wishes to you!

Comment

A Non-Tirade Tirade

Hi John, As I said in the column, in a number of ways, I'm sorry to go. (although in other ways, such as the burnout I was suffering, I'm definitely not). Thanks for your note. About Le Papillon, I'm quite familiar with it. Just one word of advice: On Mothers' Day it has a terrific buffet brunch (it used to have the buffet every Sunday, but it stopped that). There is one section of the restaurant that is a single step up from the section with the buffet table. If you're ever there for the buffet with an octogenarian, you might be advised to insist on a table in the same section as the buffet or to remind the octogenarian about the step. If I had done so, my mother might have avoided an ambulance ride to the hospital to fix the hip she broke (hers, just in case there was any doubt; she's not into breaking other people's hips) when she tripped on the step. To be clear, it wasn't the restaurant's fault at all and the people were wonderful about it. I recommend Le Papillon to anyone in or visiting Toronto ... just watch out for that step. Joel

Comment

Working...
                              X