• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, Gilligan?

** This thread discusses the article: Hello, Gilligan? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Hello, Gilligan? **

Hello, Gilligan?

1) OK, since this is "free" television being broadcast; why are the phone companies charging? Why not add another commercial; for extra features we don't need. (I'm sure there is at least a minute or two of the 20-21 minutes of programing on a half hour show that could be taken. 2) All TV is going to HD-TV. Will the new phone be HD or regular? Since they are so small how will computer vetrans, used to large screen less than three feet from our eyes, know?

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

At the risk of making a forecast about technology (and we all know how reliable THAT is), I'll fearlessly jump in. Cell TV is a gimmick. There are several perfectly good reasons why it won't get very far: 1). Battery life is terrible. It has always been terrible, and it continues to be terrible. Better batteries have helped a little, but not enough. Fuel cells are a silly idea (hey, you can strap a furnace to your portable device! Everyone wants that!). The only real hope is better electronics efficiency. 2). You can't see the puck (that's the Canadian-specific reason). Alternatively, you can't see the ball (that's the reason for most of the rest of the world). The screen is just too small, no matter how high it's resolution. 3). The per-minute charges are high, and much too high for extended use. These prices are likely to come down, but cell networks are the phone companies cash cow. So cell TV will work for short clips. Ads, jokes, short stories, all those things will work well. They'll have to tailor the content to the device, but that's quite achievable. However, the notion that most cell owners would watch even a half-hour show is absurd.

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Joel - I to go outside to stop laughing long enough to catch my breath after reading your TV show proposals. I only hope that Fox network doesn't read your column - if those reality show producer morons catch wind of your creative side they'll hire you in an instant and I'll never see your writing here again. It's clear that the phone companies are hungry for content - any content - just like TV. Quality doesn't have a chance. I am truly stunned at how the media continues to underestimate the public's intelligence and make so much money doing it. When I see that first person watching Gilligan on their phone I will be very tempted to pour water down their pants - now that would be real entertainment. Keep on telling it like it is, Joel.

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Joel, Think of all the morons that forgot or never had an ear-piece. You can't see that little screen if you're holding the phone to your ear. So in order to watch and listen, it'll have to be on speaker-phone. So they won't just be ignoring their friends.... They'll be disturbing everyone else in the room as well. And these same idiots will want to use their phones as Phones and TVs at the same time. And since it will all be on Speaker-Phone, everyone will get to hear the TV Show and the Caller, while Mr Manners shouts back his end of the conversation into the phone he's holding at arms length. The only good thing about this, is that we'll no longer have to listen to just Half a conversation. So the next time you hear the guy next to you give an answer like, "I don't know what to do with the goats. Give 'em back to the Midget for all I care !!" there won't be anything left to the imagination. Hmmmm.... On second thought, maybe there isn't any Up Side to this one. Mike

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

PCBUILDERS Thanks for the exceptionally generous words. Your subject line said:
            your talents are wasted writing RPG
            This is probably not something that I should mention in this publication, but I've never written a line of RPG code in my life. Never. I stopped being a programmer and moved into the marketing end of things (for IT companies) more than 15 years ago. Before that, I was a mainframe business application programmer (in-house development at a few different companies). My main language was PL/1, although I once did a little maintenance on a COBOL program and coded some user exits for an application that was written in Assembler. I also worked with a couple of 4GLs. But, no, I wouldn't recognize an RPG program if I fell over it. (I tend to be very clumsy, so falling over a program is not too strange for me.) As to where my skills lie ... I'm still trying to figure that out. I'll let you know when I do.

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Brian said:
              Battery life is terrible. It has always been terrible, and it continues to be terrible. ... Better batteries have helped a little, but not enough. Fuel cells are a silly idea.
              I had an idea: How about highly miniaturized nuclear reactors to generate power for these things. They might cause cancer, but isn't that worth it if it means that you won't have to miss a minute of your favorite game or reality show? Besides, radiation is used to treat some types of cancer. Maybe they could be clever and use the radiation thrown off by the reactor to feed a device for self-treatment of cancer. Got to go now ... I'm off to the patent office.

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Yea, TV would be a waste of cellular bandwidth but what about video conferencing? Maybe this will play out like the dot.com boom that funded fiber cable connecting the continents, providing the infrastructure to transfer call center jobs and software development to India after the dot.com bust. Tomorrow when you call India for support, you can point your cell phone to your screen and the guy on the other end of the line can "see" what you're talking about. When you hold a meeting to discuss software development, the programmer on the other end of the line can "be there" with you. The social implications could be huge. Nathan M. Andelin

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Darn! I hadn't even thought about the possibility of two-way TV. I like this less and less all of the time. Then I'll have to start being careful to not do anything that's socially unacceptable while I'm on the phone. Like answering the phone naked, for example. Trust me. It's not a pretty sight.

Comment

Hello, Gilligan?

Speaking of John Denver. Now that the US dollar is worth $1.15 (ah those days when it was worth 1.60), I feel like singing John Denver's "Country Roads take me home, to the place, I belong. West Ontario, Mississauga, take me home". I wish with the rising prices of oil, mama Canada, holding second biggest oil reserve after Saudi Arabia, will take back all of us working here in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X