• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper Beats Electrons

** This thread discusses the article: Paper Beats Electrons **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Paper Beats Electrons **

Paper Beats Electrons

Being an old person (25+). I just find printed books easier to work with. How many times have I tried to search an online manual using a mouse, scroll bars, little helping hands when if given a BOOK I could have searched the index, scanned chapter headings or found a general topic that would have pointed me to an answer.

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

For reference manuals, you can't beat e-books,pdf's, whatever; I can find info that I need much faster. For learning, I like the printed book. For enjoyment like fiction, I like the printed hardback book. In fact, I am somewhat of a collector. That is not to say that I have not read fiction on-line, because I have, but I prefer the feel, look and smell of the printed book.

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

If you are lying in the sun on a beach you could consider photovoltaic cells.... (I'm joking of course....)

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

I thought you were a typpical Canadian (a Commie by cons's definition) who would always speak of eliminating hunger, poverty, diseases, illiteracy, war, discrimination, bigotry, pollution, global warming, rain forest disappearance, blah blah. I can't believe you are advocating chopping down all those poor trees. I think there was a Time-Space rapture that altered our Time-Line, changing ol' Joel from a Liberal to a Con. Or maybe you belong to an Alternate Universe and did a Quantum Leap here to replace our Joel. In any case I am searching for a Borg style Trans-Warp drive to perform a slingshot stunt and go in past to fix our Time-Line, or a Quantum Slip drive to travel to the Alternate Universe and bring old Joel back. Next he will be talking like my Souther Baptist friend ... 1) There are more trees than we can ever cut down 2) There is more oil than we can ever burn 3) Global Warming is a myth created by the Liberals 4) Dinosaur never existed, it is a hoax created by Darwinist or God forbid 1) There was no slavery in the South (just bounded workers). The Industrialist from North created this misconcept to attack and destroy our industries. The African americans are immigrants from Jamaica. 2) .... never happened, everything was made in Hollywood by Steven Spielberg

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

I thought you were a typpical Canadian (a Commie by cons's definition) who would always speak of eliminating hunger, poverty, diseases, illiteracy, war, discrimination, bigotry, pollution, global warming, rain forest disappearance, blah blah. I can't believe you are advocating chopping down all those poor trees.
            By the definition you provide above, I'm still a typical Canadian. I don't think that we should chop down the rain forest, but, with proper forest management and recycling where possible, I still think we can produce books in an environmentally responsible way. And, while I may be a Commie by the conservatives' definition of Commie that you provide, I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a communist. I run my own business and I am a very strong believer in free enterprise. And I particularly believe that it is possible to respect the environment and produce MY book. (By the way, you can buy the book, BYTE-ing Satire, by going here: http://www.mc-store.com/5076.html ) Not that this week's tirade was designed to promote the book. Oh no, no, no. I would never, never, never be that crass. By the way would anyone like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge from me?

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

Joel: How much recycled paper goes into the publishing of your book? (Every two weeks, one of our blue boxes is quite literally filled to the brim with paper.) Cheers! Hans

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

Hi Hans,
                Joel: How much recycled paper goes into the publishing of your book?
                The truth is, I have no idea as to the recycled paper content of the book. I just write the words. MC Press takes care of getting them put into print.
                (Every two weeks, one of our blue boxes is quite literally filled to the brim with paper.)
                My royalties are the same if you buy the book and put it in the blue box or if you buy it and keep it. Of course, while I appreciate the royalties, I'd be much more honoured if you buy it and put it in a place of honour in your home. I'd be even more honoured if you buy several copies and place them in several places of honour and give even more copies as gifts to family and friends. Not that I'm trying to push the book or anything; I'm just saying ... By the way, to any of my American friends reading this, yes I can spell honour (honor). I checked out the Web site link on Hans' posting and noticed that he lives in a suburb of Toronto, so I decided to use the Canadian (The Queen's English) spelling of honour. (For readers who don't know what a "blue box" program is, it's a recycling program that uses blue-coloured (there's that Queen's English again) boxes for collecting recyclables. The public relations hype of the Province of Ontario, where I live, claims that the province invented the blue box program. I don't know if that's true. If it is, I suspect that the only thing the province invented was the colour of the box, not the recycling program. But that may just be the cynic in me talking.)

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

Well, I'm 100% Canadian too, but I spell it "honor". I got fed up with Canuck spelling rules when I learned that, under Canadian spelling rules, you do NOT spell "honorary" with a "U". The same rule applies with adding suffixes to other "our" words. But many Canadians make the mistake of keeping the "U" in order not to be seen as too American. Regarding the blue box, I never meant to suggest that I would put your book in it. We put a lot of paper into it, and I'd like to think it goes someplace useful. I'm not in the habit of throwing books away in the blue box. Just yesterday, we dropped off three boxes of books at the local Sally Ann Thrift Store. Yeah, there is that pretense that Ontarians are so concerned about the environment. But the reality is that Canadians have little to be proud of in that area. Other countries are much further ahead in protecting the environment. For example, many might be surprised that there's still logging going on in Algonquin Park. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

My first job in Canada was in Toronto. My manager was a Chinaman. When he saw the recycle box next to the Coffee Station and the sign "Please Recycle", he laughed and said, "The Caucasian is learning to recycle! Little does he know if I throw this cup outside the window in China, somebody is going to pick it up, wash it, and reuse it. Once it is unusable, he will open it, flatten it, and then make something good out of it. I wonder how long will it take them to learn to reuse before recycling." I don't place any books in my blue box. I just drop them off at Goodwill Store (or Thrift Shops or Value Villages etc). If it is worth something, they will sell it, otherwise they will throw in recycle it. The same goes with clothing. Lots of security paper uses recycled cloth. If the clothing is any good, it will be reused, otherwise it will be recycled. Yes Ontario produces a lots of garbage and guess where it goes? A chicago based garbage disposal company takes it and dumps it at a landfill near Chicago! We dont like littering our Country and turn the otherway when it is exported to the USA. Ain't it hyppocracy on our part?

Comment

Paper Beats Electrons

Yes Ontario produces a lots of garbage and guess where it goes? A chicago based garbage disposal company takes it and dumps it at a landfill near Chicago! We dont like littering our Country and turn the otherway when it is exported to the USA. Ain't it hyppocracy on our part?
                      Just a minor correction. We ship our garbage to Michigan, not Chicago, Illinois. From the City of Toronto Web site:[*]Currently Toronto ships 111 trucks of waste per day to Michigan landfill … down from 142 trucks a day in 2003. This includes all waste (residential, ICI (Industrial, Commercial, Institutional), ABCD (Agency, Boards, Commissions, Departments), schools and waste water)[*]Toronto sends approximately 975,000 tonnes of waste a year to Michigan landfill - enough to fill the Roger's Centre (former Skydome) to the top[*]From curbside pick-up to final dumping, disposing of garbage to Michigan costs approximately $118 a tonne[*]The operating cost for Toronto's diversion programs, which include the Blue/Grey box, Green Bin and Yard Waste composting programs, is approximately $135 per tonne[*]35% of the Ontario waste trucked to Michigan is from Toronto. (The remainder comes from private industrial companies, and the regions of Peel, Durham and York) Yes, we send a lot of trucks belching greenhouse gases down highway 401 to haul our garbage to Michigan. Real environmentally friend of us, eh? The upside (for Michigan at least) is that a Michigan company, and Michigan itself, makes a lot of money off our garbage.
                      Toronto sends approximately 975,000 tonnes of waste a year to Michigan landfill - enough to fill the Roger's Centre (former Skydome) to the top
                      Hmm ... not being a sports fan myself, I think I've come up with a solution to our garbage problem, at least for one year.

Comment

Working...
                      X