• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepless in Technoville

** This thread discusses the article: Sleepless in Technoville **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Sleepless in Technoville **

Sleepless in Technoville

I mostly worked in companies that were either industries or they were software companies with flex timings. So I always started office at 7am. So it was natural that when I joined Lincare in Clearwater, Florida, I would come around 6:30 and watched sunrise from my cubicle. I noted that the 4 foot tall Miss Cindy Whittiken (reminded me of tinkerbell of Peter Pan), was always before me no matter how early I came. I frankly asked her what time she came and she told me around 6am. So one day while I was sleepless, I decided to come early. I arrived at 5:45 and Cindy was still there. Upon my inquiry she told me that she was sleepless too so she came at 5am! Over here in Cingular Wireless, Alpharetta, Georgia, I found Charles Mohammed, the 6'6" tall giant Chocolate colored guy with a big jar full of chocolates for all, always coming before me. I once came at 6am and he was already there. I never tried coming before that.

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

I have personally know several of those early morning people. They arrive at the office at 5:00 or 6:00 AM, make coffee, etc. They are all perky, and cheerful. Not what I want to see first thing in the morning. However, if you try to call them at 8:00 or 9:00 at night, they are already in bed. Must have something to do with genes, or DNA. Maybe it goes back to the early days of man. Something to do with hunter-gathering, and getting back to the cave before dark.

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

Zzzzzzzzz..... oh I'm sorry I must have nodded off ready your article. (Just kidding. I always enjoy your tirades)

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

Main Entry: ab·lu·tion Pronunciation: &-'blü-sh&n, a- Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Late Latin; Middle French, from Late Latin ablution-, ablutio, from Latin abluere to wash away, from ab- + lavere to wash -- more at LYE 1 a : the washing of one's body or part of it (as in a religious rite) b plural : the act or action of bathing 2 plural, British : a building housing bathing and toilet facilities on a military base - ab·lu·tion·ary /-sh&-"ner-E/ adjective

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

Joel, I liked your article. You pinned the tail right on! I went through the exact same thing you did; however, I had very good results. Long story short I do stop breathing for 30 seconds EVERY minute while sleeping. This means I breathe for 30 seconds, stop for 30, wake up and breathe for 30 ..... and it goes on and on. My ET finger reader thingy said my Oxygen level drops to 60 while sleeping. That is VERY bad bad bad. Normal saturation is upper 90s. The next morning I used to feel like a truck ran over me. I now have a CPAP and have been faithfully on it for 2 years now. I feel like a new person. If I had not gone through sleep study I think I would die soon. My opinion is this..... If you discover something horrible like I did then the sleep study was worth it. If you don't find anything or the results are "inconclusive" then the whole fiasco was a waste of time. Scott

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

Michael, Haha. Yes power outage is big problem. My neighborhood suffered an ice storm last winter. We lost power for 5 days at my house. We had nowhere to go because everyone was without power that we knew. Our house was heated by a gas stove, but no CPAP. I tried sleeping a couple of nights and my wife couldn't stand it. She would watch me stop breathing. I felt horrible! So in the middle of the night, she ran an extension cord from the car to me and plugged it in. We let the car sit in the driveway running all night while I got some real sleep. I had thoughts of someone stealing the car and dragging me by the extension cord down the street. I am thinking about getting a generator some day but they are way too expensive. Scott

Comment

Sleepless in Technoville

Scott, Michael, I do use a CPAP machine (thanks to OHIP) but I still wake up by 6am. It is the timer within me. I first thought it was the dawn that woke me up. Then all the curtains still made me wake up so I thought it were the gases. However even though I ate little in dinner, walked, and went to wash room before sleep, I still woke up at 6. I guess it is the timer. Yes without CPAP life was different. Morning headaches, shortness of breath, sleeping in the meetings, nightmares, and above all ... the shouting of room mate in the middle of the night, "would you please stop snoring and let me sleep".

Comment

Working...
                X