Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Suggestions for Inventors

** This thread discusses the article: More Suggestions for Inventors **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: More Suggestions for Inventors **

More Suggestions for Inventors

Joel wrote: I'd buy a second and possibly a third car. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as too much greenhouse gas in those places during the winter. I have a problem with this concept, even within the context of humor. It is a very real attitude among certain groups and individuals that ultimately leads to environmentally disastrous policies. Without acknowledgement of the potential and real harm to this sphere we live on, an attitude like the one stated above can cause catastrophic contaminations. For the past ten days in New York City, the temperature has climbed over 50. Most people are enjoying the respite from what would normally be freezing weather. Rain has occurred when normally it would snow. NYC has always enjoyed breaks from winter freezing, but not in recent memory has this happenned for such an extended period of time. It is said that the size and duration of Atlantic hurricanes has been the direct result of global warming. Global warming is a real, noticeable phenomenon. Not to care about it for the sake of personal comfort is distressing. Dave

Comment

David Abramowitz wrote: > It is said that the size and duration of Atlantic hurricanes has been > the direct result of global warming. Yes it has been said, no it's not true. There have been up and down cycles for decades. > Global warming is a real, > noticeable phenomenon. Not to care about it for the sake of personal > comfort is distressing Whether global warming is real or not is one thing. But for man to have the audacity to think we are causing it, or can do anything to stop it, is another. Remember the ice age? Was that man's fault? What did we do then to warm it up? How about the fact the magnetic poles are moving. Did we do that? I've been hearing lately that prehistoric Antarctica had vegetation. -- Jeff Crosby Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc. P.O. Box 13369 Ft. Wayne, IN 46868-3369 260-422-7531 The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of my company. Unless I say so.

Comment

Dave said:
        I have a problem with this concept, even within the context of humor.
        Just for the record, it was a joke. Obviously, buying a second and third car to pump greenhouse gas into the atmosphere during the winter is not something I would actually do. I own one car that rarely comes out of underground garage at my condo. I live & work downtown (out of my home office) and walk or take the subway most places. People laugh at me when I tell them how few kilometers I put on my car each year. My usage pattern doesn't change much in the winter. Again, it was a joke. I do think that, while the science may not be 100% of what we would like it to be, there is enough evidence to justify being concerned about global warming and its possible effects. That having been said, I am thinking of developing a beach front hotel in Tuktoyaktuk (it's in the extreme north of Canada's Northwest Territories mainland). Yes, I am kidding about that too.

Comment

I hope this tirade does not turn into environmental debate. This is like religion and in religion there can not be any dialog, just blind faith. David's point is that denial of global warming is not a joke, it is a reality. Where I live (in Georgia-Tennessee-SC border), there is this far-right pocket. People seriously believe global warming "crap" is just another stunt by the godless anti-american liberals. (By liberals they dont mean the Liberal party of Canada, they mean the Democratic party of USA, peace activists, environmentalists, CNN, Jews, Blacks, South Asians etc etc etc.) I am not arguing if it is right or wrong (not getting in the argument). I am just testifying that this group does indeed exists and is a very powerful and influential one.

Comment

You people are killing my laugh buzz.

Comment

Brian, Thanks for taking the article in the spirit in which it was intended. I really didn't think that a joke about global warming would generate a serious discussion on the topic given that my comment was made in the context of a suggestion for a vacuum cleaner powered by dust bunnies. I guess I'm not a very good humorist if so many people take me so seriously.

Comment

It is said that the size and duration of Atlantic hurricanes has been the direct result of global warming.
                It is often forgotten that the act of speaking does not in any way imply truth. One would stand a better chance of selling me an old Radio Shack computer than to make me believe this, regardless of the source.
                Global warming is a real, noticeable phenomenon. Not to care about it for the sake of personal comfort is distressing
                OK, I admit it's real, and I can notice it. Generally, it's really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. And I care. Now what? As I understand it, my next act as a decent caring citizen is to refrain from mowing my lawn, watering my lawn, grilling out, flushing my toilet, driving a decent vehicle, taking trips, generating garbage, and all-around good living. Then, as a final act of support, I am to quietly bend over in the opposite direction of Washington DC and the UN building in New York, and take it like the good citizen I am. If I may use the famous quote: "I don't think so Tim" P.S. I did enjoy the article

Comment

A look at the position of continents at the time you're talking about before they drifted apart shows why tropical vegetation thrived in tropical climes that are still tropical climes today. One has to consider where the land was then when considering what lived on it. I have noticed that when records are set, the most severe records break records set in the late 1800's. The drought in Ok I saw just now broke a record from 1922. As far as I can tell we've been there, done that on all of this in the recent past, relatively speaking. I haven't looked at this stuff in detail, but in my opinion the open coal burning in the 1800's did pretty extensive carbon dioxide generation as well. We should do a lot of smart things to live in a cleaner, energy independent country ready to deal with rising ocean levels and extremes of distribution of water. We're not, but we will, under extreme duress. rd

Comment

Os said:
                    P.S. I did enjoy the article
                    Thanks! As to the whole global warming thing, I'm in no way an expert on the topic, so I'll leave it to the experts posting here to carry the discussion forward if they feel the need to.

Comment

You wrote: Don't program emotions into the TV's brain. Otherwise, it will commit suicide after being forced to watch all of that garbage before it ever gets to the point where it realizes that it can just ignore everything. Clearly, the amount of quality in today's choice of TV programming is a constant. When I was growing up, this quality was shared amongst only a few channels. Now, it's being divided by hundreds, leaving each with a minute share. The sitcom is one of my favorite forms of TV entertainment, but unfortunately, it's pretty much dead these days. As far as I'm concerned, there's currently only one good sitcom worth watching, Corner Gas. Joel, don't tell me you don't watch Corner Gas. Downtown Toronto has the highest per capita viewership of Corner Gas in all of Canada. Fans of Corner Gas may be interested in the Google Maps view of Rouleau, Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, the satellite photo was taken before the Corner Gas set was built. But other than that, you can see many of the places in the town where the show is filmed. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Hans wrote:
                        Joel, don't tell me you don't watch Corner Gas. Downtown Toronto has the highest per capita viewership of Corner Gas in all of Canada.
                        Sorry Hans, but no, I don't watch Corner Gas. Since Seinfeld went off the air, just about the only time I turn on the television, other than to watch a Marx Brothers or Woody Allen DVD, is when there is a major ongoing news story and then I usually watch CBC Newsworld or CNN.

Comment

Working...
                        X