Competing Against Global Neighbors for IT Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competing Against Global Neighbors for IT Jobs

** This thread discusses the article: Competing Against Global Neighbors for IT Jobs **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Competing Against Global Neighbors for IT Jobs **

** This thread discusses the article: Competing Against Global Neighbors for IT Jobs **
    You are absolutely right. The US need to be protected from unfair competition. Who cares if this makes US items too expensive to export. Why should I care if most of what I buy costs more due to it being made or performed by overpriced US labor. (Overpriced = not being able to pay less for equal output from less expensive input). It's my patriotic duty to subsidize US workers, even it they are too expensive sometimes. Why should I save for retirement or a nice vacation with my family when protectionism should come first? Those damn dirty foreigners should learn their place, which is never to undercut the price of US goods. They really need to be taught a lesson. Let's just ban doing business with them and pay whatever it takes to do it. That'll show 'em.

Comment

Mary Rose Roberts wrote: In 2003, U.S. firms made $119 billion total outsourcing deals, up 44% from the previous year, according to Gartner, a research firm based in Stamford, Connecticut. It is incredible that a new firm would consider outsourcing based only upon these numbers, and the numbers provided by outsourcing firms. The bottom line is the bottom line is the bottom line, and if that's what counts then outsourcing is not a real good idea 80% of the time. That 80% points to studies, and whitepapers performed by Big 5 firms, and previously outlined in these fora, and other publications. Outsourcing doesn't work, and companies considering such a move should know this,,,,,,but don't. Yet the practice of outsourcing continues based on the promise of greater net returns. Those responsible for implementing a losing plan may succeed in covering themselves. The bottom line in this case is that unless one is fully prepared for the practice and implementation of a successful outsourced project, then one should understand the risks, and not go near the damn thing. And that's for creating less expensive American goods, and improving the trade balance. Dave

Comment

David Abramowitz wrote: > Outsourcing doesn't work, and companies considering such a move > should know this,,,,,,but don't. > > Yet the practice of outsourcing continues based on the promise of > greater net returns. Those responsible for implementing a losing plan > may succeed in covering themselves. Some -are- finding out. Ephraim Schwartz tells of one company that is bringing their programming back to the US: http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...reality_1.html . "So, at the end of the day, when Kana looked at the large component of program managers in the states managing the Indian process, the disconnection between architecture and design, and finally the fact that they had to give up their IP (intellectual property), the decision was made." And a new term has been created "back shoring". Bill

Comment

Working...
        X