• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMMON in High Gear

** This thread discusses the article: COMMON in High Gear **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: COMMON in High Gear **

COMMON in High Gear

I agree that the AS/400(i5) is by far the best system out there for business processing. However, saying that we as developers are not doing enough to promote the system internally is totally misguided. In my efforts to promote it internally where I work I have come within inches of getting fired! Why, because, regardless of how many different ways I show management that the As/400 is more cost efficient, dependable, etc., etc. it really doesn't matter. They have their mind set on becoming a Wintel only shop because they see the AS/400 as overpriced and ancient technology. Why do they feel this way? Because IBM does not promote the virtues of the 400 the way that Microsoft promotes their products. Because IBM has an overly bloated and convoluted method for web enablement (WebSphere). Because IBM spends all their advertising dollars on what? Wintel equipment of course! If IBM pushes wintel, why wouldn't everyone think that is the way to go?

Comment

COMMON in High Gear

I'll believe IBM is serious the next time an IBM rep or business partner recommends the System i as the platform for whatever they're pushing that day. The last several times (new ERP, new CRM, and even Notes fer cryin out loud) the pre-sales tech and sales people effectively said "everybody runs it on Windows... I guess you _COULD_ run it on System i if you wanted to..." With that kind of ringing endorsement from the vendor, it's pretty tough to self promote in your workplace without digging yourself in a pretty deep trench.

Comment

COMMON in High Gear

Funny how "the vendor" is treated like they aren't used-car sales people--that is disbelieve everything they say, assume they are lying and , oh yes, do the research yourself.

Comment

Working...
        X