• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigating Costs

** This thread discusses the article: Investigating Costs **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Investigating Costs **

Investigating Costs

When we were kids, our chant was: "Red Rover, Red Rover we *dare* Joel to come over!" I *dare* you, Joel! ;-) M.A.

Comment

Investigating Costs

Regarding the article's little-mentioned topic of processes used in the development of software, it would have been interesting to note the process used for this ill-fated project. (Maybe I missed it.) Was it the traditional Waterfall methodology? Was it the Unified Process? In either case, what role did specifications drift play?

Comment

Investigating Costs

I'm much more mature than I used to be and, therefore, don't respond to dares in the same way I used to. But if you don't stop teasing me I'll sic my big brother on you.

Comment

Investigating Costs

The articles I read were in general news publications so they didn't bother discussing the development processes. I suspect they were the same processes that lead the military to spend a few thousand dollars on a simple bolt.

Comment

Investigating Costs

Thanks, as always, Joel, for the smiles (perhaps more wry this week than previous weeks) on my Friday. Your comments, however, reminded me that I need to go sign the petition to get singer/songwriter/author/animal rescuer Kinky Friedman on the ballot as an independent candidate in the upcoming Texas Gubernatorial election! My battle cry has become "No more status quo!"

Comment

Investigating Costs

Joel, as you know, the people friendliness nature of the Canadian government is legendary among the good conservatives here in the US. I'm sure they'll more than overlook a $2 billion cost for a gun registration system when you explain that that provides an M16 for everyone registering. We call it an army down here. rd

Comment

Investigating Costs

My observations of the Gun Registry process lead me to believe that it followed the traditional Government process. You probably know a lot more about this process than you think you know. In fact, the Government process is widely used, although not often written about in Best Practices books and guidelines. It goes something like this: 1). A government minister has a Big Idea. He (or she) floats the idea in public forums and leads everyone to believe that the government is serious about this idea. 2). Unfortunately, he also jumps the gun (ahem) and also makes statements about the implementation of the idea. These statements (including, but not limited to the cost of the Big Idea) are ill advised and based on nothing more than a "really good feeling." 3). Support builds like an avalanche. In an effort to be seen to be relevant and responsive, the government quickly passes legislation to implement the Big Idea. 4). The bureaucracy of government is tagged to implement. RFI's and RFP's are issued. Tenders are made. Consultants are hired and reports written. Memos, oh the memos (feel free to break into the Barbara Streisand song written about this, Memo'ries)! 5). The cost skyrockets, but the government is committed now to the idea. Backing out would be seen as a defeat. The funny thing is, sticking with the program is a defeat too, and everyone knows it. 6). The project either fails utterly, or is implemented "with challenges." 7). The tax paying citizenry have their worst fears of government confirmed. Angry, they vote against the sitting government, and elect a new set of politicos. Now go to Step 1). and repeat.

Comment

Investigating Costs

Sounds about right to me. Brian said:
                  7). The tax paying citizenry have their worst fears of government confirmed. Angry, they vote against the sitting government, and elect a new set of politicos. Now go to Step 1). and repeat.
                  Oh oh! We currently have a minority government, which, for people not familiar with the parliamentary system here, means that the government could, theoretically, fall just about any time parliament is sitting. That would result in new elections. If you're right about the process, and I have no doubt you are, boy, this could get really expensive, really fast.

Comment

Working...
                  X