• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod, Robot

** This thread discusses the article: iPod, Robot **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: iPod, Robot **

iPod, Robot

Joel: Some years ago, I visited the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta, which was well worth seeing. The last room in the museum allowed you to sample various Coca-Cola products from around the world. It was fun watching people taste a soft drink sold in another country and go "Eeewwwww!". I took a cup of Spezi to remind me of some great visits to Germany. What's my point? It's just that there are different tastes in different countries. The Japanese, for example, are very gadget conscious. An ipod robot may well be very popular in that country and not at all be considered unusual. Poking fun at different national tastes or different marketing demographics may well be an easy way to churn out a humor column, but I think you can do better than that. But to get back to the topic, I'm surprised you missed comparing the Miuro as "your plastic pal who's fun to be with". Or comparing Miuro with Marvin. An ipod playing robot with Marvin's personality might well be worth buying an ipod for! (BTW, I used to be a big DNA fan myself. That is, until I started reading Terry Pratchett.) Cheers! Hans

Comment

iPod, Robot

It's really too bad you don't believe in miracles, Joel. I have to believe that if I had the talent to get people to care enough to read my rantings and ravings and on top of that, get paid to do it, I would say I lived a miraculously charmed life. (Speaking of which, that life itself seems to be quite a miracle.) Despite your agnostic bent, you do a great job at it. Keep up the good work my friend!

Comment

iPod, Robot

Ever since I moved to Atlanta two years ago, it is my duty to take everyone to the two big symbols of corporate America ... Coca Cola and CNN. I always refuse to take anyone to CNN but Coca Cola I have to sometimes when there are lots of kids involved. I prefer taking kids to Stone Mountain Park and show them live crafting of glass works ... and yes ofcourse the 4D theatre. Georgia Aquarium is offering season passes to his business partners for $50 valid for end of next year i.e. one year and four months. As an adult, you would proble more enjoy the underground than anything else, keeping in view your interest for historical places. Last year I was lucky to catch the Black Heritage Festival. The Jazz was real good and my kids really enjoyed it.

Comment

iPod, Robot

Joe, I think ipod Robot is an American product and was available in American stores for quite some times. It costs around $25-30 I think. It is just that it hit Japanese shelves recently. Actually what fascinated me was that Nike marketed iPod shoes a while ago! These shoes enabled the runner to adjust the iPod while jogging so that they dont have to break their momentum.

Comment

iPod, Robot

I'm curious why the Muira name for a Japanese robot is an acronym for English words? And pretty geeky words to boot. Are you sure IBM marketing is not involved in this? On the other hand, the title iPod, Robot is clever. I didn't understand the premise of the robot, but understood even less what there is about it to rant about. Unless it dances like the dancing baby. That I can see as a major concern. rd

Comment

iPod, Robot

Hi Hans,
              An ipod robot may well be very popular in that country and not at all be considered unusual.
              Poking fun at different national tastes or different marketing demographics may well be an easy way to churn out a humor column, but I think you can do better than that.
              I’m much too gullible for my own good. Please tell me you’re joking because that’s way too much political correctness for me. In the past I’ve made fun of instant messaging, text messaging, people who yap away on their cell phones while ignoring the friends sitting next to them, people who are addicted to their BlackBerry, and much more. I’m sure people in other countries have those afflictions as well, but they are definitely ailments that affect my marketing demographic too. What’s more, if you go back over my columns you’ll find that the most frequent form of humor is the self-deprecating variety. I poke fun at myself much more than I poke fun at anyone else. I didn’t mean any slight against the Japanese people. The robot is supposed to be coming out in North America next year. That was too long for me to wait. MC Press has imposed a few editorial restrictions on me. (Although I do the best to stretch a couple of those to the limit, as I did in one instance in this column. I’ll leave it up to you to guess what that was, but, to my mind, it wasn’t the rule they have against insulting people.) In addition to MC’s restrictions, I have two rules that I’ve imposed on myself for this column: First, it has to be at least vaguely related to some sort of technology. And, second, if I haven’t got anything bad to say, I shouldn’t say anything at all. After all, they do call this a “tirade.” If I couldn’t make fun of various technologies and people’s choice and use of them, I couldn’t write this column. Many people think that would be a good thing, which is why you should definitely answer MC Press’ request for IMHO columns. It will push me out of this space. By the way, if you don’t believe what I said above about my past subjects, feel free to review my old columns. To make it easier for you, MC Press has published the first year’s worth in book form under the title “BYTE-ing Satire.” It’s available through the MC Press online bookstore as well as from Amazon and the Barnes & Noble Web store. I don’t know if Barnes & Noble has it on any of their physical store shelves, but I know that Borders has it in a few of their locations. Sorry, I couldn’t resist the opportunity for a book plug. But seriously, please buy a copy. There’s a warehouse somewhere that’s desperately short of air space.

Comment

iPod, Robot

I have to believe that if I had the talent to get people to care enough to read my rantings and ravings and on top of that, get paid to do it, I would say I lived a miraculously charmed life.
                You mean I'm supposed to get paid for these columns? Damn! I've got to talk to MC Press about that. Just kidding. Yes they do pay me a few dollars to write this crap. Weird, huh? There's just no rhyme or reason to life, is there?
                Despite your agnostic bent, you do a great job at it. Keep up the good work my friend!
                I strongly resent being referred to as an agnostic. I think that's terribly insulting. I'm not agnostic. I'm atheist :}
                Keep up the good work my friend!
                Thanks for thinking it's good work. The compliment is greatly appreciated!

Comment

iPod, Robot

ipod Robot is an American product and was available in American stores for quite some times. It costs around $25-30 I think. It is just that it hit Japanese shelves recently.
                  Hi Hassan, Are you sure it was an iPod accessory robot that's also capable of walking? All I know is what I read in the news. If an American company came out with it first, I apologize to them.

Comment

iPod, Robot

I'm curious why the Muira name for a Japanese robot is an acronym for English words?
                    I wondered about that myself. The article I read didn't have any further explanation, nor did the English version of the company's Web site. I suspect that the reason for the English is that their eyes are on the larger American market slated for next year.
                    Are you sure IBM marketing is not involved in this?
                    I thought the concept for this robot was silly but, no, I don't think IBM marketing was involved. Do you really believe that a company that thinks it's prudent to throw away many millions of dollars of brand-building investment every few years (AS/400 aka iSeries aka System i5 aka System i) is anywhere near as clever as that robot company. I don't think so.
                    I didn't understand the premise of the robot, but understood even less what there is about it to rant about.
                    Hey, I've been writing these for more than two years. They can't all be gems

Comment

iPod, Robot

I apologize, now that I have confirm it with the proper authorities on this subject i.e. my teenaged kids What I saw is called iDog and is not an iPod Robot. As a matter of fact, it has nothing to do with Apple computers. It was made and manufactured by Sega in Japan and is now reported to have been also made by Tiger entertainment (a division of Hasboro).

Comment

iPod, Robot

Joel, This reminds me of the fish that moved its tail and head to music. Big Mouth Billy Bass was its name and perpetual annoyance was its game. It'll be just our luck that someone will outfit the fish to play hours of iPod music! Tom.

Comment

Working...
                        X