Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Naming for Dummies

** This thread discusses the article: Computer Naming for Dummies **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Computer Naming for Dummies **

Computer Naming for Dummies

Bob, Did you mean www.signgenerator.org and not www.signgenerator.com ?

Comment

A while back I came up with a new name for RPG. After all, why upgrade the programming language but still leave customers with the impression that it’s still a Report Program Generator. When Toyota decided to market a luxury car, it introduced the Lexus. Everyone knew it’s from Toyota and it contained a lot of the same components, but they were still willing to pay more for it, and even prefered it to other luxury cars. So I thought RPG ought to be named something like SPL for Structured Programming Language. Or if Ajax is already taken, then how about some other kitchen cleanser like 409?

Comment

I got a good laugh out of the book cover. Nicely done on the naming permutations. I think "i5" sounds cool. "System i5" is somewhat cool. "iSeries" was only good for trying to create a concept of product lines based on similar architectures or operating systems or something. At least we had a product line. In the IBM midgrange arena, we have to operate within an advertising/promotional opportunity disadvantage: the product already works great and it facilitates an easy OS upgrade process (at least from a perspective of application software maintenance). Chucking it or pieces of it and coming out with something new that doesn't offer a solid upgrade path is at odds with the philosphy. But we have to have new names. Non-computer people I know are always saying oh, that's old technology isn't it? Not because of anything they really know, but based on the length of time the name has been around, they figure it must be outdated. "WebSphere", what a great name for a product line. Now "RPG", updating the concept of RPG can be a tough sell. That's an acronym mighty far off from what it really does.

Comment

DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95/98, Windows 2000, Windows XP - Was dumb. Is GUI. Basic, Visual Basic, VB .Net - Was simple. Is comprehensive. RPG, RPG II/III, RPG 400 - Always and forever a Report Program Generator. They know better. It's as if GM was putting a governor on an engine to keep it from going too fast.

Comment

"RPG 409" Your all purpose language! LOL!

Comment

"409 your all purpose language" is OK. But seriously folks, you can add Visual to Basic and wind up with Viusual Basic which is OK. But you can't add Visual to RPG ... well you can but it doesn't get you very far. Visual 409 would be a hoot. Or my original suggestion, SPL for Structured Programming Language. To come up with a cool name like Ajax, Java, Linux or even Pascal takes some marketing genius.

Comment

Since "i" uses the EBCDIC collating sequence, we can turn to the trusty, crusty Appendix B table in the ILE RPG Reference for inspiration. The next permutation of the name will be without a character from the alphabet. We could use x'00'. Is this null? System NULL has a nice ring to it. Or, it could be x'40' for space or blank. System X'40' sounds futuristic like the 1950's sci-fi movies. Others could be x'5A' to make a real bang; x'5B' for a wealth of processing; or, the best one may be x'6F' since most of my clients don't have any idea what it is, anyway. Tom.

Comment

... x'7C'x'7B'x'5B'x'6C' x'6F'x'5A'x'6F'x'5A'x'6F' ;-)

Comment

I still call it AS400. Employment listings still use AS400 98% of the time. The only problem with AS/400 is that some sites do funky things with the '/', such as treat "400" as a distinct search string. So you end up getting a lot of "$400 per week!" junk listings. It would be nice if you could search by explicit strings ("AS400" "AS/400"). If I use the term "AS/400" and don't register a response with my audience, then I'll pitch "iSeries". More often than not, that doesn't register a response either. BTW, the subtitle to the book should be "Or how to kill a perfectly viable brand recognition".

Comment

Working...
                    X