Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I take it you're happy with this last change, and if it changes again you'll just do a search and replace on your website and pretend to be somebody else? rd

Comment

First, we've got many issues to deal with when it comes to IBM making silly decisions. For example, the idea that they are even considering unbundiling the new display file design capabilities from standard WDSC is just about as stupid as anything they've done. As to the phrase "would it not be considered idiotic to go against IBM on a simple name", well actually, no it wouldn't. Disagreeing with IBM on this point is no more or less "idiotic" than disagreeing on any other point. It might be more futile, and then again it might not. But idiotic is simply the wrong word to use. Joe P.S. I notice no comment about the fact that your home page is the Angus IT page. So I guess you ARE just an alter ego of Trevor's, eh?

Comment

Joe, It has now been 13 months since the name was changed. Since no one has launched a "save the 400" campaign, I assume they were either (by your definition) idiots, or (like you) cannot be bothered to put any action behind your words. I guess, since no one has bothered to campaign, then everyone has accepted the name change, and let IBM get away with it? Or, by not taking arms against a sea of name changes, does it allow people to complain noisily on forums like this?

Comment

Ralph, I was not happy about the name change - when it happened. But I realized that IBM was committed to this name change. Anil Menon (in charge of IBM server group - now systems group) said at COMMON something to the effect that the name was changed so IBM can build a brand and stop focusing on name changes. Everything I have seen is that IBM is behind this name change for the long term. The short term of changing documentation and product names is still ongoing, but we keep on their case, and they are learning. IBM admits it needs to market INTERNALLY, and in the last year, I have seen that happening. I now believe this name change is a good thing. Like any brand, it is not the brand name as much as the identity. And now, we HAVE an identity beyond the name of a piece of hardware. We have a family name. I am TOTALLY behind having a family name - one that brings everyone together and makes us less dyslexic. It is slowly working. Most people are getting there slowly. There are some people who will keep using the name change as a way to make themselves look glorious, and some people will keep whining about it - they will be left behind, and the brand will thrive and prosper. While it is frustrating that there are people who cannot accept that the brand is the brand, and since it is OUR brand we should be all behind this, and while it is frustrating to see the whining, I am confident this is the best thing that has happened to our platform in a while. It makes other people think of our platform as new and modern, and in the view of all the "old and green" jibes we keep getting, I think 'System i' can take us into this 21st century. Trevor

Comment

Angus wrote: Since no one has launched a "save the 400" campaign The action is plain and simple. It is used by AS/400 professionals every day. It is used by recruiters every day. It is used by IT directors every day. It is even used by IBMers who are not within earshot of their own managers on occasion. The action is that the box (whatever the name is this week) is, and will be referred to as "The AS/400". No matter what color, shape, or configuration. IMO It is a powerful action. Such an irresistable force as IBM Armonk is powerless to stop this movement of consonants and vowels. Those who buck the trend and refer to the box as iSeries, i5, SystemI, or "eServer AS/400e iSeries" (remember that one?) will, by and large, not be understood. OTOH The shop that purchased a brand new box, and refers to it as the AS/400 will be understood by all who have used the software throughout the years. Dave

Comment

I never called anyone in the midrange community an idiot. I said accepting the name change genially was idiotic, which is a far cry from calling someone an idiot. In any case, the vast majority of people in the community do not accept the name change genially. They may not "take up arms", but they make their discomfort known, on lists like this, at conferences, everywhere. In any case, you bend and manipulate words and it makes it counter-productive to talk to you. Employing the fake Eric Jooka handle is completely in character. Joe

Comment

Has anyone ever noticed that the line "take arms against a sea of troubles" is a mixed metaphor? Dave

Comment

David Abramowitz wrote: > Has anyone ever noticed that the line "take arms against a sea of troubles" is a mixed metaphor? > > Dave Me, I never noticed that before, but it looks like it's been noticed. Wikipedia even says that it's arguably not a mixed metaphor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catachresis Maybe Shakespeare was making a reference to King Canute trying to beat back the sea with a sword. Rats, I just read something that suggests that King Canute was only trying to demonstrate that even he couldn't do that. http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/con...west-sussex.en Anyway, the next line "and by opposing, end them" doesn't fit very well with that theory. Unless it means that the act of opposition can end the troubles. Now my brain hurts. And I repeat 3 times: I am _not_ going to search whether Hamlet is supposed to be King Canute.

Comment

Joe, I did not address it, since it was obvious you knew. I have used that pseudonym for over 20 years, and do not hide from it. I was on the road, and did not have the password for my regular Angus profile. Sorry if it caused you confusion - I think everyone else got it. And, FYI, it is a name change I endorse. Trevor

Comment

How ironic that the guy adamantly insisting that we all use a single name uses multiple names. I'm sure you can understand my confusion: despite your using the name for 20 years, it evidently hasn't been in public. I can't find one reference to it anywhere on the web (unless you've been running a secret SETI project in the US since 1999). Not sure where else you find it necessary to use pseudonyms, and really I don't want to know. I just found the irony amusing.` Joe

Comment

Barbara, The remark that "Something is rotten in Denmark" was blatantly obvious. . . . . . . They didn't have refridgerators back then. Someone give me a rim shot and a cymbal crash. Dave

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"? **
                          ** This thread discusses the Content article: Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"? **

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"? **
                            I have one client who replaced their old box and old software with a brand new box, and new software written in Australia by a company called IDS. Not knowing the difference between hardware and software, the entire enterprise has taken to calling the new computer "IDS". Another client who has been using iSeries hardware for the past few years exclusively uses the term "AS/400". At a user group meeting two years ago, an IBM speaker admonished the audience for referring to the iSeries as the AS/400. When I retorted that IBM should not be calling their AS/400s iSeries, the comment was received with applause. Job search engines typically produce little or no results when iSeries, or i5 is used, but will return greater dividends on AS400, AS/400, and even AS-400! This isn't the same hardware jump as when Silverlake replaced the System/38. There were major differences that warranted a new name. Changes to the AS/400 have been progressive, and evolutionary, but the underlying architecture that made an AS/400 an AS/400 has remained constant. If IBM wanted to change the name, they should have done it with the introduction of the black boxes......But that was thirteen years ago! From a marketing perspective IBM has tried to say that from the first renaming forward, the box represented a new paradigm. That it was different. This was not your father's AS/400. That notion might have succeeded, if IBM had bothered to actually market the machine. Instead they simply told the faithful to abandon the existing name. Hey IBM: A name change does not constitute an entire marketing strategy! So no matter how new your box is, it is still an AS/400. Dave

Comment

Bob, Aye've come to the conclusion that the system aye division of Aye Bee Em is being run by monkeys selected randomly from the world's zoos. Just say no to I or i. Aye will be using AS400 or simply "The 400". Don't deny your past. Be proud of it! Say no to i. Say aye to 400. Arrrgh-uing my point, Tom

Comment

Maybe IBM should hire Bill Saluga's character Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. to do a commercial. Maybe this will spur your memory - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Jay_Johnson Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X