Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"? **
    IBM is marketing Linux as if they make money off of it. Perhaps they make some services cash, but do they sell hardware that people use to run Linux? Sure they offer hardware, but to they actually sell any? A SystemMax twin dual-core XEON processor server with RAID'd DASD is $1500. Download your favorite version of Linux to a DVD or CD and bam! You've got a server running in a day for $1500 plus payroll expenses. If IBM wants us to move to Linux then offer RPG IV on Linux and stop making the non-affordable hardware. Why they hell would anyone buy an i5 to run Linux on it? Sure if you already have an i5 you can run Linux in a partition, maybe. But for $1500 plus salaries (which is actually a wash, because you have to pay the i5 staff just like the staff that does the linux insall) so for $1500 you have a box with a web or mail server (or both) up and running with industry-standard software. The i5 has the best architecture in the world. OS/400 is still great. The _only_ two problems with it are: 1) Rochester doesn't seem to want to make stuff work on it completely (as long as it runs, its good enough). 2) The marketing/branding B.S. All the talk about AS/400 being old technology was created because they actually lasted more than a year in customer shops. "Gosh, Bob, that 400 is old, isn't it?" "Well, yes it is old, sir. maybe we should replace it." The point was supposed to be that we needed to upgrade the box to the latest model; but management reads about how IBM discontinued the AS/400 and then thinks Linux/Unix or Windows. I really wish they'd sell off the Rochester plant is its assets to some company that understands the value of what they can do up there. But at the end of the day its all about career moves, fast money, and milking the life of the things. It is not about longevity. That's strange, I thought we learned back in the 1970s that the major thing we Americans did wrong in business was to plan/think through to the end of the next fiscal quarter. Whereas Japanese businesses had 10-year plans. IBM's latest excuse for the name change game is that "Every 5 years we have a new 5 year plan, so we reband our product line accordingly." More like we change VPs every 2 to 5 years and they new ones take 2 years to do anything and then the only thing they come up with is changing the name so it takes another 2 to 3 years before people realize they have done nothing productive, but by then, they're promoted or out of there.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"? **
      Bob Cozzi asked: Why they hell would anyone buy an i5 to run Linux on it? So you could run that nifty HMC on it! Dave

Comment

When any of the non-AS/400 techies attempt to demean the AS/400 as being legacy or are just otherwise insulting, I ask them to clarify which of our many many corporate boxes they are referring to: "Do you mean the RELIABLE box? The MR NO UNPLANNED down time box? The one running the Company business - you know, the IMPORTANT box." They generally don't have much of a comeback or argument with that.

Comment

Is it just me, or does "iSeries", "i5" or "iWhatever" possibly cause some to think they are products for, or related to, the Apple iPod? People, not part of the AS/400 community, might understandably think an "iSeries" is something you might "dock" to speakers, strap to your arm while exercising or download music to? Talk about confusing the market with ambiguous names! Maybe i'll attempt to compile RPGLE on my iPod Nano while listening to the latest music from iTunes that i purchased from the iStore. Yi Yi

Comment

Comment

My bet is that that is exactly the kind of confusion that IBM marketing was shooting for. If they can just get the iPod confused as our cool new interface, it's a wrap. Or is that rap? rd

Comment

Working...
              X