Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It "System i," "i5," "System i5," or "iSeries"?

Let's face it, thee are only two significant computing scenarios here. The first was the integrated proposition of System/38 with its operating system CPF. This embodied most of the core values of the i5 family today. When a new menu interface from System/36 was added it became AS/400 but was essentially the same computer. The second scenario came part way through the iSeries phase when the box began to support multiple operating systems. This was a significant game changer and could have merited a name change. i5/OS should not have been named to represent the hardware. For my money, the best name was pre-S/38 - the codename Future System. This says what it is really all about. System p is only a subset of i and doesn't merit a separate name.

I can't seem to decide what to call the box on my resume. e.g. I have 15 years experience programming on IBM AS/400 (a.k.a iSeries ... a.k.a. System i ... a.k.a. System i5), and designing databases for DB2/400 (a.k.a DB2 for iSeries ... DB2 for i5/OS ... DB2 for System i). That sounds terrible on a resume. -- DaveSlash

Comment

Search for the jobs, then match the resume with the results....the first label on my resume has always been AS/400 to match the job search.

Comment

Bob, Let's face it. You are over a year behind the 8-ball. The only name game being played is by you, and it is starting to look rather silly. You spent a whole article talking about something that is already over. IBM changed the name in January 2006 - it is time to get over it already. The brand is System i. The current server sold is a System i5 - or simply, i5. When you talk family, you refer to System i. When you talk hardware, you refer to i5, iSeries or AS/400 - all part of the System i family. None of this is difficult, but you tried to make it that way. When the stubborn people get on board, there will be no more discussion. How many years did we take to get used to AS/400? Sure, IBM needs to get their act together and fix their branding, their documentation, their support, their emails, their job titles. But that is just a lag - not a reason to go backwards any further. Follow this - we work with the System i family. When you say "i5", you are either talking about a specific server, or you are showing your ignorance about the platform you purport to love. I think your attempt to be controversial is just keeping us in the 20th century. It is 2007 - the name is System i - welcome to the 21st century. Oh, and BTW, there is no such site as iSociety.com related to iSociety. The one you are looking for is iSociety.org - the welcome site for iSociety. iSociety.common.org is the membership site for iSociety. Trevor http://www.angustheitchap.com

Comment

Angus the IT chap asked: How many years did we take to get used to AS/400? For me, it was just one day. June 17th 1988. I was attending the combined rollout at the New York Hilton, and the Marriott NYC. There were dancers, fireworks, and a crowd of thousands in attendance. For months before, there were whispers about the revolutionary Silverlake machine. Many had claimed to be working in a beta site, but no real substantiation was offerred. The wait was well worth it. Dave

Comment

I believe this was the first place I saw it mentioned, but it did get me to thinking of perception. The perception today is: AS/400=Legacy, Everything else=MODERN Unix has been around since the 1970's. The Mac was introduced in 1984. Windows was introduced in 1985. The AS/400 was introduced in 1988. The Pentium processor was introduced in 1993. Linux has been around since the early 90's. So then, somebody please tell me, how is the AS/400 a legacy system but all the others aren't? It is a stoopid question I know, but I just have to ask.

Comment

Competion, and a pretty face

Comment

Partly 5250 terminal sessions used (for good reason) for most interactive processing, partly due to RPG and the unique columnar syntax. If it isn't C or look like C, it will be dismissed by most. However C and GUI are not joined at the hips, so those who perhaps dismiss based on language may not dismiss based on screen. My understanding is that the majority of SAP runs on similar screens under Unix. Bottom line, Unix isn't that much different (and of course we have it in PASE anyway), XWindows is just not a stranger there and even though we have it in PASE, it is apparently almost universally unused. I've never seen anyone mention using it. I don't know, who are these people that call the AS/400 legacy? Usually Windows people that also call the mainframe legacy and for that matter, everything else. You have to consider the source. Are they replacing the iseries? No. It's all up in the air right now. It could go in any direction, so lots of hot vapors and little else until a solid enterprise architecure winner is established. The iseries should be a big part of a rational enterprise architecture. What's needed is the security and performance of interactive sessions with a GUI'zed client, Eclipse and/or Flash based makes most sense, perhaps IBM's new Lotus oriented open source client. No time to waste to establish that image of the Future System. rd

Comment

Welcome to confusion & obfuscation. Perhaps the last gasps (I hope not) of a desperate and totally incompetent, marketing department. The question is not what's right or wrong, correct or incorrect. The fact that you needed to respond at all, to "clear things up", proves the point: there is marketplace confusion where none was necessary or desired. I agree with Shel's FEB 07 post: "Winner of the Worst Marketing Blunder of the Decade Award"

Comment

Until OS400 includes a GUI built-in, it will be seen as legacy, because it only has green-screens (those are SOOOO 1970's)

Comment

Point#1. IBM has changed the name. Get used to it - good or bad marketing, 'System i' is the name. Point#2. Articles like this original one are causing the confusion. Mr. Cozzi is in a position to be an industry leader, and call ~our~ platform by the name it has been given by the manufacturer. He has made the choice to stand out through confusion rather than clarity, ignorance rather than controversy. Clearing up the confusion caused by people who are deliberately causing confusion is required at times, unfortunately. Whether it is or is not a marketing blunder is a debate we can have. Some of us agree, some don't. We cannot debate the name - it is what we have. In the end, we are now a System i family. Those who are with us, are with us... those who are not are becoming the mainframe cobol dying breed equivalent.

Comment

Point#1. IBM has changed the name. Get used to it - good or bad marketing, 'System i' is the name. Did you also make this post when the name was system i5? iseries? eserver for iseries? And you know what? I'm sure I butchered the above and probably left out others. And who would know besides you and some marketing mucks in Armonk keeping track on a whiteboard? Everytime I go in a store I have to find the package that says "Original" on it because of people like this. They are idiots who assume everyone else is too. rd

Comment

Or we can lobby IBM really intensely to get rid of what is from nearly every viewpoint a really horrid name. To accept this colossal blunder genially is simply idiotic. But hey, that's my opinion and I'm sticking by it. And by the way, you might want to change your home page. Currently it's set to "www.angustheitchap.com" and it might lead some people to believe you're just an alter ego of Trevor's. Joe

Comment

Right on Ralph. I suppose the biggest problem in "getting used to it" would be losing all of the opportunities, and contacts who are still posting jobs, products, and everything else using "400" in the name. For the time being, and until the rest of the world comes around, I'll let the other guy "get used to it". Dave

Comment

Joe, since it has been a year, and no one has lobbied IBM intensely, I would say the idiots are winning! On the other hand, would it not be considered idiotic to go against IBM on a simple name? Hmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X