Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfing for Fun, Not Profit

** This thread discusses the article: Surfing for Fun, Not Profit **
    Hassan, in your posting to Joel, you said, "...go for the inspiration instead of deadlines." I'm his editor, and if he takes your advice about missing deadlines, I'm going to track you down and make you sorry! ;-) Victoria Mack, Executive Editor

Comment

Victoria, thanks for your posting. Now all of the people who think that I made you up whenever I've mentioned you in my tirades will know the truth. You'll have to excuse me. I have to sign off now. I've got a tirade to finish if I don't want you to track ME down and make me sorry!

Comment

Well I always knew Victoria existed because I had seen her posting before. The question was, and it still remain, whether Victoria really says all that or you just make it up? The work around for giving a regular feed is to write at will but submit as per schedule. For example if you are able to write two article in a week, submit just one and save one for the rainy day. Especially that one that is not on a current topic. Otherwise it will rot and will be no good after a certain period of time. Also, if the article is too big, split it into two and submit them in different weeks. I bet Victoria does not read you article and wont catch you. The readers are used to seeing "to be continued" or "Part II", or "More xxxx" (here I am careful enough to give more than 3exes to avoid misunderstanding of the x factor).

Comment

Thanks Hassan,
          The question was, and it still remain, whether Victoria really says all that or you just make it up?
          Actually, I write everything in the column, including the title, the teaser line at the beginning and the stuff written in third person in and after my bio. Victoria does an amazing job of fixing my mistakes, but I do the original writing. What I was referring to is that I often mention Victoria by name in the column.
          For example if you are able to write two article in a week, submit just one and save one for the rainy day.
          Victoria prefers that I send them to her as I write them and is happy to have a number in the queue, so the time when I submit them to her is not an issue. Writing two in a week in order to get ahead is the problem for me. For a long time there was almost always at least three columns, and sometimes more, sitting in Victoria's hopper ready to be published. Lately, that hasn't been happening. Not even close.
          The readers are used to seeing "to be continued" or "Part II", or "More xxxx" (here I am careful enough to give more than 3exes to avoid misunderstanding of the x factor).
          Splitting it into two is a good idea. Some of them have been rather long. They've rarely been long enough for two, but maybe I can stretch them and take that advice in the future. Thanks. And thanks also for using more than 3 X's. This is a fine, upstanding magazine -- despite my occasional (usually thwarted) efforts to the contrary.
          I bet Victoria does not read you article
          I'll take that bet. Trust me, she reads all of my columns. I know because I get back her edits.

Comment

I think your science fiction type thoughts have been the most interesting, Joel. Looking forward to more of those. rd

Comment

Working...
            X