Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Internet Explorer 7 Bandwagon

** This thread discusses the article: The Internet Explorer 7 Bandwagon **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Internet Explorer 7 Bandwagon **

The Internet Explorer 7 Bandwagon

My My My ... Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the stone this morning. Perhaps you can find a good used copy of Netscape 4.0 if you try. That's even before AOL got their hands on it! Microsoft is only doing this stuff just to Pi** you off ... and only you. They know who you are. Perhaps if you were to wrap your PC in tinfoil or if you were to put heavy cast iron weights under your desk then Microsoft would leave you alone.

Comment

If you don't like i.e.7 and Vista (I know its not released yet) OK-A few more words (This is going to get verbose) Then get an Apple run os(insert you favorite feline species here) and safari There is a reason you PC and run the Windows operating system (I assume it met your needs - at the time at least) If you don't like it you have a choice (Ah...Markets at work) Of course if you go Apple you are now tied to another Vendor So you may want to run in opensource environment (Os/Browser/Applications..or not)

Comment

A lot of jokes have been made about what Microsoft puts us through every time we get, for example, another version of Windows, or IE, or SQL. The up side of these changes are... well they forced us to upgrade our system design such as migrating to Object-Orientation from G__ knows what. Outrage was expressed at the sometimes wrenching changes forced on developers. In the AS/400 world, great lengths were taken to not create the slightest discomfort to developers... of just about anything. Result, the AS/400 and successors are the preserve of a lot of people near retirement AND the AS/400 world has become (not that deadly word!) a legacy system. Twenty years ago, PC programming was a spaghetti-plate nightmare while the '400 was gobbling up its competition. Now after generation after generation of changes, the Microsoft World has captured, long ago, the offensive. As one who has programmed in both Visual Studio and WebSphere, I promise you, VB.NET and ASP.NET run circles around WebSphere. I believe IE 7 with all its flaws like the repositioning of the File Menu (huh?) will stop its competitors dead. Some of us are mad we can't have it our way. The AS/400 is an example of that sort of indulgence gone horribly wrong.

Comment

"VB.NET and ASP.NET run circles around WebSphere" This comparison doesn't hold. WebSphere is not a language or even a platform, it's just a Web application server, like Tomcat or JBoss. A closer comparison would be IIS, and Apache (which is the HTTP server for WebSphere) is run in about four times as many sites as IIS. If you're comparing ASP.NET or VB.NET to Java (and specifically J2EE), you may have a point; you can quickly knock together .NET applications using Microsoft tools. Then again, you can use MyEclipse or WDSC to crank out J2EE applications pretty quickly, and these applications will run on Windows. They'll also run on Linux and Unix and OS/X and the iSeries, something .NET applications don't do. And if you're comparing .NET to RPG, you're way out of your depth. Try writing an MRP generation or a batch balancing algorithm or a finite forward scheduler in VB. In fact, try to write just about any business application more complex than a data entry screen and we'll see how much more quickly those old legacy programmers can knock one together compared to a VB programmer. The IBM midrange never really "gobbled up" anything. It's just quietly been running businesses for years and years and years. Windows isn't goign to replace the midrange anytime soon; in fact, Windows needs to look out for Macs. If Windows loses its monopolistic stranglehold on the consumer desktop, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye. In fact, as new releases of Windows continue to miss dates a world of Macintels, Lintels and IBM midranges isn't as farfetched as it once seemed. Joe

Comment

Dear Mr. Gates Jr. (john.decoville), Let’s have a little fun shall we? ‘From one bigot (as/400) to another (Microsoft). You said, “A lot of jokes have been made about what Microsoft puts us through every time we get, for example, another version of Windows, or IE, or SQL.” Maybe you misinterpret the jokes. They aren’t the ha-ha kind, they are the very sad kind, as in, Microsoftees are the brunt of Microsoft’s long-running upgrade joke, time after time after time after time… You say, “The up side of these changes are... well they forced us to upgrade our system design…” Wow, that’s an upside?! To who? Have you considered the pocket book of your employer? I doubt your definition of “upside” is the same as theirs. Well, maybe---they may love having Microsoft forcing them to spend money as well. You say, “In the AS/400 world, great lengths were taken to not create the slightest discomfort to developers... of just about anything.”, followed by, “the AS/400 world has become (not that deadly word!) a legacy system.” Incorrect. In the as/400 world, great lengths are taken not to create discomfort to CUSTOMER’S SYSTEMS. And I might remind you, again looking through the glasses of a CUSTOMER, an investment made to write a mission-critical application in 1977 (I’ve seen some that old) can still pay off. You brag, “Now after generation after generation of changes, the Microsoft World has captured, long ago, the offensive.” May I refer you to today’s headlines (the date not the era): “Red Hat announced the City of Chicago's successful migration to Red Hat Enterprise Linux for essential government programs, including the vehicle registration system, online job applications, restaurant inspections, ethics training and more.” ‘better go talk to da-da in Redmond ‘cause there might just be trouble on the prairie. It looks like VB.NET and ASP.NET is now being put on the DEFENSIVE. Meanwhile the AS/400 is sits there, as it always has, and runs, runs, run, runs, runs, runs…

Comment

Working...
            X