• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionable Quality

** This thread discusses the article: Questionable Quality **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Questionable Quality **

Questionable Quality

Joel wrote: My preference for Embraer lessened recently. I've only flown on Embraer a few times. On one occasion I was placed in the column with the single seat. One leg could reach the floor while the other was on a slight hump. Because of this you could not fit a laptop under the seat in front of you, or under your own seat. I guess comfort and convenience is for someone else. Dave

Comment

Questionable Quality

I guess comfort and convenience is for someone else.
      With their steerage class seats, "comfort and convenience" is not the measure of success that airlines use. If you arrive at your destination without being killed by deep vein thrombosis you are supposed to consider yourself well served.

Comment

Questionable Quality

Here it is early saturday morning, (in Brisbane Australia), I have a nice cup of coffee and a great dose of Klebanoff, very enjoyable article. It didn't start out that way, I got up early to write to a customer and when my laptop started up I was presented with a message informing me that I needed to restart my laptop to complete the updates. What updates, i don't remember requesting updates. Anyway who am I to argue, so i click the button and take the opportunity to put the jug on. After rebooting I log back on and a minute or so later i receive the same message, I must reboot for the updates to complete. OK call me gullible but after doing this twice I decided enough was enough and used that wonderful system recovery option to revert back to a better time in my laptops life. The positive is that the second cup of coffee always tastes better. So the laptop is happy now, until whatever wants to be updated decides to automatically update and i have the same problem again, sounds a bit like groundhog day. Anyway when i started to write this post i was going to comment on airlines in Australia, (that's the big blob on the other side of the globe to North America just below Indonesia) but I seem to have got side tracked. I like to fly QANTAS when I can afford it, but commonly I seem to fly Virgin or Jet Star which are the two main cheaper, (no frills) airlines. Virgin is quite good for no frills once you get used to it, the attendants are friendly and they like to say "Blast off" rather than take off and all the seats have room for feet, and laptop bags and the overhead lockers are pretty good too. I recently flew jet Star and that was an experience, no seating allocation, just first in, best dressed, now that was an experience I won't be trying again by choice. Enough of my rambling, good article Joel, great to see you back, albeit somewhat occasionally. Cheers, Don

Comment

Questionable Quality

Hi Don, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Regarding your Groundhog Day experience -- it sounds like you have a good tirade there. Why don't you write it up and send it to Victoria (the editor of these columns and much else at MC Press) at vmack@mcpressonline.com. She's often looking for articles for this space. (If you do write one, keep in mind that any work you did to finally make your laptop happy was "labor," not "labour." I'm English/American bilingual.) By the way, I once had what was probably the same problem you had. I think the cause was my having deleted a piece of Microsoft software (if I remember correctly, it was Microsoft Interactive Training). When an update came out for that piece of software, Microsoft Update tried to update it on my machine. Of course it couldn't do so because it wasn't there. Microsoft Update seemed to recognize the fact the update hadn't been done, but not the fact that there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to do it. This went on for several days. Every time I booted up I saw an "updates waiting" icon in the System Tray. If I was foolish enough to click on it, the update failed. I eventually reloaded the deleted software so Microsoft Update could get its jollies by updating it. I was worried that, if I didn't, Microsoft Update might eventually get depressed and angry. Who knows what damage it would have done then.

Comment

Questionable Quality

Don, I could imagine a couple of circumstances that would require multiple reboot requests from Windows Update. I'd recommend you switch to "Download the updates and then ask me when to apply them". This will give you the opportunity to selectively choose and apply the updates as they become available by using the Custom option. Bill

Comment

Questionable Quality

"for the benefit of American readers, Canada is that big blob that sits on top of the 48 contiguous states on a map of North America" Back in 2001, Dennis Miller said in his HBO show, "For those of us who do not know Canada, it is the part of the USA that has health care". Things changed immediate after quite drastically. Now that Canada has the benefit of a US style neo-con government, thing might be inching back to the old warmth (haven't been to Canada for a while so can't really tell for sure).

Comment

Working...
              X