Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road Not Taken (Nor Given)

** This thread discusses the article: The Road Not Taken (Nor Given) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: The Road Not Taken (Nor Given) **

The Road Not Taken (Nor Given)

In Michigan, one topic that prevails when discussing travel by car is construction and I know that Yahoo and Mapquest don't normally allow for it or the detours involved which can add both time and distance to any estimate. ds

Comment

Joel, Funny article. But, if you simply travel only 98% of the time you were going to travel, the directions will be correct 100% of the time, right? (wink, wink for those who have no sense of humor and will point out that my statistical analysis is horribly incorrect). Tom.

Comment

I'm near Pittsburgh, PA and it's a joke here that when someone gives directions for this area, the first thing out of his mouth is "You go through the construction..."

Comment

I'd heard that Pittsburgh was closed. It's nice to know that it's only under construction. (Just kidding.) Here in Toronto, it's often said that we have only two seasons: winter and construction.

Comment

"Why use brain when you got the navigator." This is the motto of my counsin from California who likes driving a lot. After a while I gave up and bought a supercheap Garmin I2 from walmart.com. It was on sale those days for $198. It has a teenie weenie black and white screen as it was under $200 but it sure took my driving stress off. After a while my sister saw it, liked it, and ofcourse I had to give it to her I now have another cheap one but even that one gives me option for the shortest route or the fastest route. It asks me if I want to avoid toll roads, highways, country roads etc etc. It has been a while since I stopped using mapquest or yahoomaps. I do use "google earth" to have a reality check i.e. it gives an aerial view of roads and I can decide if the route given by yahoo, mapquest, or my navigator is a realistic one or not.

Comment

Google Earth is great! It's a real time saver. You can generate directions from it but I wonder if they have errors, too. Tom.

Comment

I would like to say that picture do not lie and therefore there can be no error on Google Earth because you can see the satellite photos and see for yourself if there is a new road or not. However Google Earth has some rotten old pictures as much as two years old. So when I wanted to go to North Point Mall, Alpharetta, GA from my hotel in Humbree, Roswell, GA, to watch F&F3, my navigator told me that there is a short cut from inside. However when I saw Google, all I saw a forest with roads circumventing it. I trusted my navigator and bingo, found that there was a road indeed!

Comment

I hate Detroit construction. However to go to my hometown of Mississauga, ON, Canada from Atlanta, GA, USA, I have to go thru Detroit and there is always construction going on there that disturbs my Estimated Time of Arrival.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned this old gem: It appears there was (perhaps still is) a bug in MSN MapPoint. If you asked for the shortest route between the two Norwegian cities Trondheim and Haugesund, the recommended route would take you across the North Sea to England, across the English Channel, through France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and back through Norway! You can read all about it at Snopes. (Personally, I prefer paper maps.) Cheers! Hans

Comment

I had an experience this weekend with Google Earth. We were travelling to Schaumberg, IL. I used Google Earth to find where the hotel was. The picture showed a vacant lot with no hotel, and, Google Map gave the wrong directions for getting there. When we finally arrived after using a paper map, the hotel was there and the staff said it was four years old. Google Earth's pic was at least four years old. I may have less respect for it. Tom.

Comment

Hans! Check out this blog on maps called "The map room". Since I am a maps fan, I have subscribed to its RSS on "My Yahoo" and see it regularly. I think since you are interested in European archeology and history, the historical and archeological maps, whose links are often posted there, will be of interest to you. I personally found many of them of great interest. I also gives latest news on all electronic maps such as google earth, virtual world, yahoo maps etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X