Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop and Smell the Old Technology

** This thread discusses the article: Stop and Smell the Old Technology **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Stop and Smell the Old Technology0

Stop and Smell the Old Technology

That's SO 1990's. Now it's smart phone, or go home!

Comment

Genghis Khan had his own problems with gadgets and technology: His biggest prize, China, escaped his grasp because his hordes couldn't get across the Yellow River. Why? Because of the Chinese naval boats were loaded with cannons. Something Americans may not know is, in addition to inventing gunpowder, the Sung Dynasty of China had 20,000 men working in munitions. Munitions included lathe-turned cannons, explosive-tipped rockets and grenades. Along the Yellow river, about every 200 yards there was an installation of pill-boxes, mortars, cannons and rocket-launchers at a level of quality that took Europe several centuries to catch up with. It wasn't until his (Genghis Kahn's) relatively enlightened great-grandson's rule (Kublai Khan) that the Sung dynasty surrendered to the Khanate - more than a century later. By then the Khan's terrifying armies had incorporated all the best of the Chinese armory. Cannons, harquebus (a primitive rifle), grenades and rockets were used against the Egyptians, the Polish and the Germans to no avail. Thought you'd like to know! Cheers, --John

Comment

From the title I anticipated a justification of those of us who program in legacy (read archaic) code, we who, though dinosaurs, can write unbreakable, logical and user-friendly programs. It's depressing that when I admit that I program in RPG (even though it's free-form ILE) people think I get to work in a horse-drawn carriage and light my house with kerosene lanterns.

Comment

Wicked, Don't you just hate those soot marks our gas lamps leave on the walls? Tom.

Comment

It's depressing that when I admit that I program in RPG (even though it's free-form ILE) people think I get to work in a horse-drawn carriage and light my house with kerosene lanterns. I think that will change for the better over time. I think the groundwork has been laid, but will require an open source interface independent solution that the industry converges on to have the same kind of universal solution that RPG with DDS developed with SEU was, but with multiple interfaces and an infrastructure that takes advantage of the cross language capability of ILE and bindings to Java, PHP, Python, Perl, etc. It has to replace the current fragmented solutions to get us back to where we used to be, but with more interface options. rd

Comment

Genghis (pronounced Chung-aze in India) might have been restricted until his grandson Kublai due to Chinese gun powder. However in India his other and more ferocious grandson Hulagu (pronounced Halakoo i.e. "killer" in India) got defeated and killed by the hands of Indian King Balban. The Southern clan of Mongol dynasty ended then and there. Unlike China, the Mongol hordes did not conquer India, not during the tenure of the Slave Dynasty. Only Indian history mentions this fact. India did not have that kind of gun power China had, but it had a unique king. Balban belonged to the "Slave Dynasty". In this dynasty the king nominated the most able person as his crown prince, instead of his son. For many generations the fittest person to rule proved to be a freed slave, and hence the term Slave Dynasty was coined. The success of the Slave Dynasty proves the point that system of merit works much more loudly than all the gunpowder a country can have.

Comment

Working...
              X