• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Technology

** This thread discusses the article: Server Technology **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Server Technology **

Server Technology

"seeing the terrorism, wars, famines, uncured curable diseases, murders, rapes, and on and on, they came to the conclusion that we humans are on the road to wreck and ruin" How can you be so sure that AI is just watching this as a spectator? Maybe they are the cause of it. See, unlike us humans who can not upgrade our mental capacities, they can go on and chip up! So they must be thousands or millions of times smarter than us and have found super smart ways to destroy us systematically and methodically and we dont even know.

Comment

Server Technology

Hassan, Yes, of course that's the case. But us privileged and protected ones weren't supposed to reveal that to the others. Now the AI machines are going to get you and you can't hide -- they're everywhere.

Comment

Server Technology

This sounds like an excellent start to the next great movie trilogy! It's about cocktail serving robots who dream of world domination! Maybe your real calling is screen plays and movie deals!

Comment

Server Technology

Do you have any contacts in Hollywood I can talk to? Wait a minute ... maybe you're just trying to trick me into working for the movie studios rather than for this publication because MC Press has considerably higher standards to uphold than Hollywood. Are you secretly working for MC Press?

Comment

Server Technology

I believe the correct terminology is Wrack and Ruin, not Wreck and Ruin. Although it does get the point across. I'm glad to see you back Joel, I've missed your columns. (did you only skip one week? It seemed like more)

Comment

Server Technology

The good news is, humans are not intelligent enough to write software that makes computers just as, um, intelligent, so to speak. Proof is that we're trying with exotica cocktail serving robots who would never be able to master the subtle nuances required of a real exotica cocktail server. I should know. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure those nuances out myself. Well, ok, perhaps "No" was not all that subtle, anyway, I'm off to do some more research on it. Let's see, exotica cocktails in the yellow pages... rd

Comment

Server Technology

Hi Duane, I think "wreck" works here, but you're right the common usage is either "wrack and ruin" or "rack and ruin." Both "rack" and "wrack" are correct here; they're synonyms. My thesaurus says it should be "rack and ruin." My dictionary says "wrack and ruin." And, wrack and rack are synonyms for wreck, so I'll stick with wreck ... unless, of course, Victoria (the editor) wants to change it ... she's the expert.

Comment

Server Technology

Ralph, Good luck in your research ... and, cheers!

Comment

Server Technology

And, wrack and rack are synonyms for wreck, so I'll stick with wreck ... I don't recall seeing the phrase wrack and ruin before, so thanks for the enlightenment, but after taking a look at the online dictionary.datasegment.com definitions, wreck and ruin is a completely inappropriate rendering of wrack and ruin. wrack is of the rack, that is, the torture rack. I do now recall the saying "rack my brains" as I write this, having never considered the source or meaning of it before. The phrase wrack and ruin evokes more of personal turmoil to me than a physical wreck. In fact, wreck and ruin is just saying the same thing twice. I know why cease and desist and other legal terms were said twice (English and French for the same word used by the French occupiers of England), but I don't think we can substitute stop and halt at this late date beause they are synonyms. Also, wrack is seaweed. wrack is much more visual than wreck. It is of a shipwreck, floundered on the rocks, with waves ceaselessly pounding on it, leaving wrack in its wake. In those days, the only wrecks were of ships, or of lives, both could be ruined. Wrack and ruin. rd

Comment

Server Technology

I knew I should have looked that up. Victoria

Comment

Working...
                      X