• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Hours

** This thread discusses the article: Internet Hours **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Internet Hours0

Internet Hours

"Statistics is a way of telling you that you are at an optimum temperate, if half of your body is in stove and half in the deep freezer". The problem with this survey is, the surveyer did not realize is that those spending time over internet are actually "Cyber socializing". The surfers are people with a certain mental frequency that does not match with everyone. So when they are on the internet, they are able to find someone, or lot of them, whose frequency match. Internet offer a global community from where you have a wider of choice of people from where you can hand pick people that you would want to communicate.

Comment

Internet Hours

Hi Hassan,
      "Statistics is a way of telling you that you are at an optimum temperate, if half of your body is in stove and half in the deep freezer".
      Wow, that brings back memories. I had a teacher ( don't remember which grade, but it was single digits) who drove home that very point, although his version had it that "averages" rather than "statistics" say we are comfortable half in a stove and half in a deep freeze, but the point is the same. I always get a chuckle out of it.
      The problem with this survey is, the surveyer did not realize is that those spending time over internet are actually "Cyber socializing".
      Actually, if you thought the surveyor did not realize that, then it was my fault, not StatsCan's. The survey report did make the point that people who spend a lot of time on the Web socialize on the Web more than other people do. The point that the survey report made was that they spend less time in face-to-face socializing with family in friends, not that they necessarily spend less time socializing in general. I'm sorry if I misled you and other readers.

Comment

Internet Hours

Hassan, I've not heard the term mental frequency. What does it mean? Thanks. Tom.

Comment

Internet Hours

good point. no one would be happy in the middle. If it the same article I read, they pointed out that the way you say phrase is very important. and when reading the phrase you may not read it the same as it was intended. so verbal communication is important.

Comment

Internet Hours

I don't know, but if I wrap tinfoil around my beanie and flip the propellor, I pick it up. rd

Comment

Internet Hours

Wow you learned statistics quite early. I took statistics in my Business degree. Yes the original joke is indeed about averages but I modified it to fit the occasion. However in our class, we were told there is really no such thing as average. It is mean, median, or mode. Well it has been over 30 years.

Comment

Internet Hours

It is true that emails do not have emotions and a very well intended email can offend people. For this reason there are emoticons or atleast smilies Also, I carefully selected a photo that has a polite look

Comment

Internet Hours

No, I didn't earn statistics that early. The North York public school system was no where near that advanced. Not even close. I took my first statistics course (I did miserably in it.) as part of my Bachelor of Science degree. I then had to take another one when I did my MBA (I did better that time, but didn't enjoy statistics any more than the first time.) No, it was just a teacher in, I think, although I'm not sure, junior high, which here was grades 7 - 9, who made the point about the weakness of averages. It was a lesson I remembered.

Comment

Internet Hours

I thought it was a common phrase. Well. Anyway, the analogy is that of radio. To listen to a certain station you switch to a certain frequency. The radio station also broadcast in a frequency that is expected to be heard by many. The same is true for mental frequency. It is said that two people with an IQ difference of more than 20 can not communicate unless the person with higher IQ has the ability to come down to that level and communicate. I would rather find someone on the internet than go down 20 points in IQ and communicate, unless that person happens to be someone very dear to me.

Comment

Internet Hours

Ralph, I thought it might be something like the antenna Uncle Martin had in My Favorite Martian. Tom.

Comment

Internet Hours

How does one identify another's IQ? I suppose it's the way I discount someone's IQ if they're Nascar or NFL fans. :}. Tom.

Comment

Internet Hours

"I discount someone's IQ if they're Nascar or NFL fans". I have seen some very intelligent people being Nascar or NFL fans. The only thing is, they do identify it is all about entertainment. So it is common for them to say, "Now that one is a fixed one for the sake of ratings". I am very afraid of discounting someone's IQ as my own IQ is always discounted by some genuine morons (no room for mistake). So when I discount someone's IQ, I feel like those morons who discount my IQ. My cousin would discount the IQ of soldiers. When his 4 year old asked him what a soldier is, he replied "A soldier is an idiot who dies for a living".

Comment

Internet Hours

No, a soldier is someone who fights to preserve their, and our, way of life for a living, and many die because of idiots. The whole IQ thing is a way loaded issue. It should be called logic quotient, which is a subset of intelligence. It is a predictive factor, but that is all. Lots of intelligent success is not necessarily based on abstract cognitive abilities. rd

Comment

Internet Hours

To Paraphrase General Patton: "A good soldier is the guy who gets his counterpart on the other side of the line to die for a living" Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X