• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battling Robots

** This thread discusses the article: Battling Robots **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Battling Robots **

Battling Robots

Joel, How about a laundry competition? Wouldn't it be exciting to see robots competing in washing, drying, and folding laundry? Maybe Maytag or Procter and Gamble could sponsor the competition. Put the company logos on the 'bots. Eventually, they would look like Nascar drivers or maybe their cars. Now Nascar 'bots! That would be exciting! You'd have to program their speech with thick Carolina or 'Bama drawl. I'll try to think of some more. Tom.

Comment

Battling Robots

Joel, Regarding your article "Battling Robots" I need to comment that there are positive productive robots out there that do not fit that typical robot stereotype of violence and destructive "battles to the death". I build robots on the side to counteract the effects of the AS/400 programming I do and have some experience with this. To prove my point, here's a picture with several of my mechanical friends engaged in a challenging game of Chess. Unfortunately they drank a little too much that night and made a big mess of things but ..... there will soon be a "Rosie the Robot" to handle that situation in the future. http://www.floridarobot.com/b9/media...otpartybl1.jpg http://www.floridarobot.com/b9/media...otpartybl2.jpg http://www.floridarobot.com/b9/media...otpartybl3.jpg Jim

Comment

Battling Robots

This robot does simple tasks like putting the toilet seat down, turning off lights when no one is in a room, closing the front door when heating or air conditioning are on. All those tasks that prompt a parent to say: "How many times do I have to tell you....... or Were you born in a barn?"

Comment

Battling Robots

It reminds me of a ST-TOS episode where people of two planets agree that instead of destroying each others material achievements, they will play a virtual game and they will execute their own people that deemed dead in the virtual game. Kirk destroys the machine and tells them to go into a real war so that they may suffer material loss as well. I think the futuristic war will be fought with robots who will have no sense of remorse killing non-combatant civilians. Right now when the soldiers return home, they bring back the violence they are programmed to perform on the other side of the border, only this time they unleash it on their own people. They also bring back stories of horror that are not published in the media. Terminologies like "Collateral Damage" will cease to exist as the robots will not report to people back home how he/she killed them in cold blood (they wont be having blood). People can have a good night sleep being rest assured that they have not killed anyone in vain and that the total innihilation of their enemy was done by a mysterious "Hand of God" (Not refering to Maradona's goal against England)

Comment

Battling Robots

The mission of this project is to develop a team of fully autonomous humanoid robots that can win against the human world soccer champion team by the year 2050. It's a real Cup that this year took place in Germany at the same time that the soccer World Cup took place. You can check it out at RoboCup The future is near!

Comment

Battling Robots

I beleive the proper word for human like machines with AI is "Android". The androids to robots are what humans are for roaches, not even animals. Mr. Data of ST-TNG used to take offence whenever he was referred to as robot, and corrected the addressor that he was an android.

Comment

Working...
              X