Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Mediocrity Become the Gold Standard in IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Mediocrity Become the Gold Standard in IT?

** This thread discusses the article: Has Mediocrity Become the Gold Standard in IT? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Has Mediocrity Become the Gold Standard in IT? **

** This thread discusses the article: Has Mediocrity Become the Gold Standard in IT? **
    You must be following me. I could probably match you story for story on the subject of IT stupidity and incompetence. Even in this forum, you see knock down arguments about "your way is stupid and you should be fired" being offered by people who would follow through with that threat if they could. This state would not exist if it wasn't supported by management who was willing to pay for it. It may be a reflection of "Stupid is as stupid does". Somehow, I see less of this behavior around non-AS/400 personnel. This is not to say it doesn't exist. It just exists more around AS/400 rust belt era professionals perhaps?

Comment

I found this to be a very strong article. It's well thought-out and notably specific to the SMB space. Your notes regarding high performers are especially relevant. I've often wondered why it is that strong performance (and poor performance too) is so often ignored. It seems to me that often inertia and a desire to have an easy day is often at the root of the problem. Management is only human after all, and if you have people in those positions who aren't temperamentally suited for them, then the situation now has a logical explanation. Note too that there is a general assumption that we live in a world of meritocracies. However this is not universally true. If it were, the old adage that "it's not what you know, but who you know" would not be meaningful. In some organizations family connections and political attitudes are simply more important than being a hard worker, or being otherwise effective.

Comment

I have over 27 years experience on the AS/400 platform (S/38 and S/34 included), have been programming from day 1, and wish to continue technically until day last. I am NOT a people manager and do not want to be one having no intention of reaching my 'level of incompetence'. This is one of the most 'right on' articles I've read and couldn't agree more. Larry Manter

Comment

Maria, I especially liked your last sentence: In my humble opinion, it is better to dispense with all the extra-curricular activities, employ some of the aforementioned suggestions, and/or provide employees what they really want: more time to have a life.

Comment

Working...
          X