The iSeries: How Uncool Is That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The iSeries: How Uncool Is That?

I seem to remember a movie about 20 years ago, where the participants actually got trapped within the programming. A game later came out based on the movie. Today they make movies based on the games. Dave

That was a Disney movie called Tron. Tom.

Comment

I also think the movie you are referring to is Tron. However I think it was a movie based on a very very old early day video game, and not the other way. I remember because I played Tron and found it to be a very boring game. So when the movie came, I had made up my mind that it would be an equally boring movie. So I did not watch it for a long time. However one day as my son was watching it, I decided to watch it to keep him company. As a pleasant surprize, I found it to be an actually good movie as it had metaphysical touches here and there. I think Tron was the first movie based on a video game.

Comment

Yes, Tron was the movie. I saw the movie before ever seeing the game, hence my assumption. Dave

Comment

Over the weekend it dawned on me that from a single lowly Packard Bell computer atttached to a phone line, I have slowly built up a network of three (four when I add my work laptop) powerful computers connected to broadband and (this is what really got me) 3/4 of a Terabyte of disk space which I still need to manage. There is only my wife and I using this as our son has his own laptop. So how do did I get here? Probably due to cheap offshore products, the defnite mixed blessing of this country. I added the last computer, an e-machine on sale at Best Buy, because it was cheaper to buy the computer than the stand alone WinXP it runs on.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: The iSeries: How Uncool Is That? **
            ** This thread discusses the Content article: The iSeries: How Uncool Is That?0

Comment

Bob: Be careful what you wish for! We've just recently been given access to VPNs, the IFS, graphical tools to manage and program the box. This is a great system that is virtually unknown to the rest of the world. In all seriousness, I totally agree with your comments in your article. dd

Comment

Well... everyone I know in the iSeries business works on a 5250 emulation. On their PC the USB port is fully functional Most of the programmers can't have physical access to the iSeries box anyway... Sure, IBM must do everything they can to make the iSeries cool. But if the shops do not follow (like it is today, still buried in yesterday's code that they convert again and again), I can't see that cool factor kicking in in a near future.

Comment

That's just we need. It would have a price tag of $12,000. Then after a year they would reduce it to $8,000 so smaller clients could buy it as well.

Comment

Bob wrote: "I've got this one gadget that I absolutely love. It's a small box with a 60 GB hard drive in it. It has an LCD screen and slots for virtually every type of memory card." I've always wanted to get one of those gadgets, but so far, I haven't been able to justify it. In the past few years since I've had my digital camera, I've never come close to filling my 1G CF card. I suspect that the next time I go on a vacation trip where I could use such a 60GB box, CF cards will become even cheaper than they are today. So for less than the price of that fancy gadget, I could buy enough 1G or 2G cards (or better) for 3 weeks of shooting and not have to worry about losing or breaking a piece of expensive electronics. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Hans, I agree. I have 2, 2GB SD cards, 2, 1GB SD cards. Each night I copy the photos onto the Wolverine drive and it automatically creates a new directory for each SD card that's inserted. Organization is automatic in that respect. Having spoken with the President of SanDisk recently, I know that 10GB CF cards and SD to follow are only a couple years away. At that point, I agree, why bother. I think I bother for two reasons, one valid, one fun. Backing them up to a hard drive gives me the piece of mind that they are backed up. The down side is, of course as you mentioned, if I loose the gadget I'm screwed. The upside is, I leave it in my room and if I loose the SD cards after they have pictures on them and were stored in my camera bag, my back pac or vest, I have the opportunity to misplace those little things much more easily than a larger device. The other reason is because I think its cool to back up stuff on that device and then dump all the pictures to the PC/Mac all at once.

Comment

Actually, IBM memory sticks, today, have smaller capacity and are sold in retail. I just checked the 512MB model is about $40. Whereas at Sam's Club you can buy a 1GB LG USB drive for $39, and a 2GB model for something near $60. The point is, it wouldn't need to be IBM, it could be my iPod, my Wolverine drive, a memory card reader, a back up device, and so on. But I do see the humor in what you said.

Comment

How many times has a non iSeries person asked you what you do for a living and you tell them you work on the AS/400, iSeries, i5... whatever? A lot? How many times has that topic lasted more than 1 minute? Hmmm, not very often? Enough said? Here's another one... name one character in a movie or tv series that is an iSeries developer or system admin. If you can find one, I'd love to hear about it! Guess were not as cool as Doctors, Lawyers, or Detectives!!

Comment

1. Car: Two years ago when I moved to Alpharetta (Atlanta suburb), I decided not to move my car and left it for my family. I got a home close to my office and walked each day. I even walked to groceries, moved in bus, and rented car for out of city car. I can't explain what a wonderful experience that was. I was never so physically fit, nor so free of work-related stress. Then one day I got a knee jerk and bought a car. I lost my habits almost immediately. 2. Cell Phone: When I (re-) moved to the USA two years ago, I was on a three month contract initially and therefore decided not to buy a cell phone. In converted my Canadian Roger GSM phone into a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go which gave me 1000 minutes and one year for just $100. I never gave me cell number to anyone but forwarded the office/home phone to my cell and picked up only important call. Even the voice mail was picked up from land line. Trust me, those 1000 minutes lasted over one year and I extended thru a loop hole which allowed carry over in case of renewal. 3. High speed internet: The pathetic low speed of my hotel (which they called high-speed anyway) was good enough for me until I was settled down in my office and had more time to spend home. Hmm so what is that I can't live without it? Dont have a camera, dont have watch (uses cell phone). Ah! my GPS! Driving is so stress free with it ... but then again ... I really don't need a car in the first place!

Comment

Lets face it, the driving factor for products being cool, and universally used/accepted, is the fact that the masses can buy them, and use them at their home and on the "go." The hard facts are, the 400 has always been billed as a Business Machine. Noone is going to buy a "cool gadget" for it, that they need to bring to work to use. Likewise, not many people will tinker with it inventor/entreprenuerial/gadget-wise with a small audience of potential buyers. What will drive more people to explore this product is a larger install base. Gadget inventions and sales are driven by what appeals to a mass audience. Henry Ford, IBM, and Alexander Graham Bell, knew this, and are household names now due to the fact they made "gadgets" that appealed to the masses, You've seen that proof through the questionaire mentioned above. The answer to your question "So what will it take to make this market cool?" is, in IMHO, IBM needs to make/sell an as/400, as/400e, eserver iseries 400, system i or whatever the next name will be, that people can afford to buy for their home. That will drive the product innovation and the "kewl" gadgets.

Comment

Working...
                              X