• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Marketing Sleaze

** This thread discusses the article: Internet Marketing Sleaze **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Internet Marketing Sleaze **

Internet Marketing Sleaze

"If you are too young to know who Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop were" What? If some one was born after Shari Lewis was dead (August 3, 1998), then he/she is still in single digit of age and would be on internet to play neopets, not to read "Tips n Tirades". I used to watch Lamb Chop with my daughter when she was a sweet little angel. In 1998 when she went overseas to see her grandparents, Shari died at the age of 65. It was a sad news for bother her and me. We did watch reruns for a few more years until my daughter grew up and got bored of "kid's stuff".

Comment

Joel wrote: "What's more, I had never even heard of the names that are, apparently, quite commonly applied to these practices, or, more accurately, I hadn't heard the names in that context." You seem to have lived a sheltered life indeed, Joel. Some of the younger readers of your column might not remember a classic case of underground marketing that occured about 12 years ago. Do some reading on the "Barkto Incident". This kind of behavior isn't news at all for some of us. Cheers! Hans

Comment

I can't find the article now, but I remember reading recently that MS had taken away the award they gave to the adware distributor. Searching the MS MVP "awardee" page, there is no reference to the person or the product in the original award. I guess Redmond can admit a mistake, now and then.

Comment

"I guess Redmond can admit a mistake, now and then". That is, when they are caught? Well in case of the article that Hans mentioned, there had been no admittance even after being caught red handed.

Comment

If some one was born after Shari Lewis was dead (August 3, 1998), then he/she is still in single digit of age and would be on internet to play neopets, not to read "Tips n Tirades".
            Maybe it's a false impression on my part, but I assumed that in Shari Lewis' latter years, when high tech computer animation had already begun to take hold in many children's program, she had lost popularity. I'm glad I was wrong. Or maybe you're daughter was the exception that proved the rule. I don't know. I was just trying to be mildly amusing.

Comment

When I wrote the article I did a search and I didn't see an article that said Microsoft had withdrawn the MVP award. But, as I mentioned in the article, by the time I rechecked the MVP page when I was proofing the article it had disappeared, but the guy's MVP page was there when I started writing the article. Like the fool I am, I didn't bother saving the page on my system, so I don't have a record of it.

Comment

This kind of behavior isn't news at all for some of us.
                Hi Hans, if you've got news that I don't have (my lack of knowledge is not a high barrier), news that is appropriate to gripe about, I encourage you to click on the ad in the middle of this weeks's column (the one with the upset looking man with his head in his hands). It is soliciting IMHO articles for this space. My giving up some of this space is something that I initiated, so I encourage you to provide your views in an IMHO article. MC Press even pays you to spout off. What could be better than that?

Comment

As a ventriloquist, Shari Lewis did not get the credit she deserved. She would have one puppet hum, and another one make clicking noises simultaneously!! Dave

Comment

Joel: I was wondering what that piece of empty whitespace on that page was for! It holds a link to the MC Press author guidelines! Actually, I thought I was the one to suggest you write a column every two weeks (for double the money) instead of every week! The first problem is that I don't think I have a good sense of what would be news to visitors to this site. Secondly, writing an IMHO piece would take time away from my family and my model trains. Cheers! Hans

Comment

Actually, I thought I was the one to suggest you write a column every two weeks (for double the money) instead of every week!
                      Now that you mention it, I do remember you making that suggestion. The parenthetical part of your suggestion (for double the money) didn't quite work out. So far as I know, there is no formal schedule for IMHOs versus my tirades, so it might be every second week, every third, two out of three, or something else. I think it depends on how fast the IMHOs come in. I promised the kind-hearted, illustrious, incredible, expert editor, Victoria, that I wouldn't leave her with unfilled space if she can't rustle up IMHOs. (All of the things I said about Victoria are entirely true, but, in addition, I know she lurks in these forums and you never know when I might need a favor from her.) Have fun with your family and model trains. Both of those sound like much more fun than writing. Maybe I should consider them. It's probably too late for me to start a family, but the model trains sounds like a great idea. I get a real kick out of that kind of stuff.

Comment

Wow. I hadn't heard of this but I'm not at all surprised. This "Barkto Incident" really happened and it's not just internet lore? I seem to recall that MS was caught deliberately crashing competitors' apps at random intervals so as to give the impression that the app was unreliable. I think the victim was Lotus 123, but I'm not positive. And I thought "Meat Puppets" was a rock band! Tom D.

Comment

"I assumed that in Shari Lewis' latter years, when high tech computer animation had already begun to take hold in many children's program, she had lost popularity" High tech has nothing to do with popularity among the children. Japanese animation (or shall I say anime) is pathetic but captures children's mind. I remember those very days (late 90's), there was a research on "Sailor Moon" which was published in Time magazine. The conclusion of someone was, "Japanese remember their childhood and knows what captures a child's imagination". So Shari was just good in tapping children's imagination and therefore was able to captivate them in the era of modern animation.

Comment

"Actually, I thought I was the one to suggest you write a column every two weeks" Yes, and I was the one with the suggestion, as an ex-writer, that he should write whenever it inspires him. That suggestion got me some serious warning from Victoria Mac BTW, when did you switch from kite flying to model trains? or you have added model trains to your kite flying?

Comment

Joel, if you have the URL in your history, you can probably find the page in the Wayback Machine. This incredible site saves every version of every page on the Internet. (This of course is absolutely impossible, but they do a pretty good job.) http://www.archive.org/web/web.php This is one of the more impressive sites I've ever seen. Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X